Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-25-2003, 01:13 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the info page, Bearfan. Do you (or others) have a suggesstion on how far from a 250w MH bulb the acrylic should be? I'm not quite sure how hot the bulbs get (I know it's extreme) and while I'm sure I could find it, I'm not sure about how much x heat decreases over n length. I could probably find that too...so I'll go looking, but if anyone already knows about how far, please respond. Thanks everyone! I think I'm on my way to a great tank, and I owe it all to you.

Old 12-25-2003, 01:54 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok, so I found out the surface temp of a MH bulb at that wattage is +475°F. I thought of something (stupid me for forgetting it earleir). I'm going to have some gobies, which I've been told are notorious jumpers. So, I'm thinking I need an acrylic sheet to cover my tank. Here's perhaps the plus side. I'm going to have a refugium, operating at approx 900gph. Will the agitation caused by an overflow box, the trip down the tubes, the skimming, the waterfalls, etc in the 'fuge be enough water exposure to make up for having to cover most of the display tank? Thanks again!

Old 12-25-2003, 02:09 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think we need some clarity here. First, you need something to protect the bulb if youre going halide. With a SE youll need a glass or acrylic cover. I doubt it will get anywhere near the melting point of acrylic. You dont want a cover over the tank itself, youll inhibit gas exchange and youll diffuse the light when evaporation occurs. Id use eggcrate over the top if you feel you wana cover the tank or just use tempered glass in the pendant if youre using one.
Old 12-25-2003, 02:52 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

OK. For all intents and purposes, the canopy will be made out of wood, and in a style like you would hang from a ceiling. So let's just say it hangs from the ceiling (whether it will or not, I've yet to decide, but the design will remain the same). I'm supposing it will resemble a box, with vents, with lights in it. The canopy will be made with what I'm guessing will be a nice oak plywood (if this will not work, or is not recommended, please let me know!) The 72" build-your-own MH/VHO retrofit from hellolights.com will be mounted into the top panel of the hood. It will have wood on the sides to hide the actual bulbs themselves from viewing. It will be equipped with some fans to keep down temperature. How far from the MH bulbs should I mount the acrylic? 3", 4", more? less? I like the idea about eggcrate to cover the tank. Thanks for that idea! My only concern is keeping down temp, protecting my bulbs and livestock, and creating the prime lighting conditions for them. So, while I'm at that subject as well, should I go 10,000K on the 2x250 MHs and then 03 actinic on the VHOs? Will this support all the corals+clams, or will I need something different. Sorry for the volley of questions, I just want to do this right. Thanks again!
(P.S. - If I left out any other important info, I apologize. I'm still very new to the saltwater aquarium lighting scene, and well, the saltwater scene in general. So if I left anything out, just remind me/ask me.)

Tags
cover

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com