Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-19-2003, 05:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

to feed or not to feed

Hi gang. I have had some conflicting advise on the feeding of corals, polyps and anemones. So of you seem to think that it is unnecessary to feed them at all and insist that all the additives are merely polluting my tank. others insist that they need regular dosing of molybdenum and strontium, microvert and direct syringe feeding of brine and such. . Can someone give it to me straight? PLease hurry, my purple gorg is not doing so great.

Thank You
Howard

Old 07-19-2003, 05:35 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I can only tell you what works for us, and what has worked for the last 10 or so years. We feed our our homemade fish food (blender mush), and nothing else, except for some supplemental seaweed for the Tangs.

We also run a calcium reactor, and a kalk reactor to maintain ca/alk & pH levels, but we haven't always run all this equipment. My suggestion would be to feed the tank a good homemade food, and do regular water changes. The water changes will maintain your necessary trace elements. The only other "supplements" you should need are something to maintain balanced ca/alk. This can be kalkwasser, a 2-part dosing additive (B-Ionic or something similar), a calcium reactor, etc.

There are a couple exceptions to this "philosophy".

(1) If a reputable/accurate test shows a marked deficiency in a needed element, then by all means, dose. Do not dose anything you do not test for.

(2) Some corals appreciate supplemental feedings. Most LPS like the occasioanl "wash" of finely chopped raw seafood. Gorgonians, sponges, clams, and some softies appreciate the additiion of phytoplankton.

IMO, photosynthetic gorgonians (we also have a purple one) love high light, and moderate water flow. I make sure to take a turkey baster, and direct feed it (weekly) with a mix of our homemade food & phyto.

I've never (in 13 years) dosed marketed "invert food", magnesium, strontium, iodine, etc.

HTH,

ReefLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 06:37 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
IMO, photosynthetic gorgonians (we also have a purple one) love high light, and moderate water flow. I make sure to take a turkey baster, and direct feed it (weekly) with a mix of our homemade food & phyto.
I agree with everything RL said, and would like to add...your gorg may not be in such bad shape...maybe. Gorgs will go dormant for short periods while they shed a waxy film, this is the corals way of cleaning itself. I have had gorgs that shed very regularly (once per month) and some that were very irregular, once, twic or three times per year, with no way to predict when it would be.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feed

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com