To Frag or Not to Frag...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GinaD

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have what I beleive is a good opportunity to frag one of my xenia's. It's my first time, so I would like some advice as to how/where to cut. I've always been good at making cutttings of my houseplants, but that's not the same, is it?
One of my xenia decided to stretch and move to another rock, and in the process, attached itself to two separate 'peaks', bridging over them. I am wondering if I cut at the bridge, would it be a good or bad thing.
Do you just go in with a razorblade and slice or what?
I'm a bit afraid I'll kill it. Is fragging the best solution to get more xenia?
(Should I just leave it to the experts and wait to order some from Cindy?) :lol:

Attachments

• xiniafrag_crop.jpg
    xiniafrag_crop.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 133
You can cut it or just lay a rock next to it touching it and it will connect to it. I have also used a rubberband holding it to a rock several times with no issue. Some people use a toothpick and rubberbands. Xenia is very easy to frag. The day is coming when you will post how do I get this xenia out of my tank. :D Be patient. PS You have some aptasia in the left bottom of the picture. Keep a eye on it. It can reproduce and take over your tank in a couple days.

Here's another view of what you think is aptasia. Still think it is? I hope not - I've been feeding it mysis shrimp. Actually, it came from the store that had rocks covered with all varieties of these to sell. This one was all by itself on the glass and I asked if I could have it.

It almost looks like a small Rose Bubble tip. That is not the same one though. The one next to the xenia really looks like aptasia.

Ohh yeah back to my point you can just cut it and it will grow. Me and my buddy just fragged a bunch of them with toothpicks and rubberbands, very easy. As Brenden said soon you will be giving the stuff away it grows very fast.

AquaReefer said:
It almost looks like a small Rose Bubble tip. That is not the same one though. The one next to the xenia really looks like aptasia.

It's actually two different views of the same thing. That's why I thought a second view might change Brendans mind. I agree that the first pic looks like aptasia, but it's just because sometimes it stretches out it's arms like that. Most of the time it looks like the second picture.

The first pic looks exactly like aptasia. I have not seen the blunt ends on aptasia like the second pic. Just watch it if you like it and make sure it does not start reproducing like crazy. ( I do think it is aptasia though)

Only time will tell rather your little polyp is a pest or not. As for the xenya, you can cut it with scissors or what ever you have handy that is very sharp. It will slime but will heal itself pretty quickly.

It will do that all by itself. Unless you're in a hurry there's no need to do it. It will leave bits behind for the new colony on the old rock. Just sit back and enjoy the show. Now if you really want to "Frag" it you can use scissors to cut the base of the taller stalk with branches right off the rock it is on. It will grow new heads for all parts left behind. You can attach the newly cut frag to a piece of rock with a toothpick and a rubberband as previously mentioned. Enjoy!

I cut the xenia right where the red line is on the first picture I posted and the small piece (#1) kind of shrivelled.
If you look at this pic, there's not much left of the small piece. Did I cut it at the wrong spot? Will that small piece grow heads?
Thanks for all your help!!!

Attachments

• xeniafrag_003.jpg
    xeniafrag_003.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 46
You can't kill the stuff. Not to worry it will rebound in time. It's a little shocked from the cut but by tomorrow it will be just fine.

Yes do not worry they will be fine. Keep looking where you cut as you will notice very small polyps starting to grow. Good luck and congrats on the first fragging.

GinaD said:
Here's another view of what you think is aptasia. Still think it is? I hope not - I've been feeding it mysis shrimp. Actually, it came from the store that had rocks covered with all varieties of these to sell. This one was all by itself on the glass and I asked if I could have it.

It's the pest anemone majano. If you like it keep it but watch out because it can split fast and sting nearby corals.

Back
Top Bottom