To get or not to get? Beautiful Red Brain Coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scatcat

Aquarium Advice Freak
The guy at the LRS said that I should be able to grow a brain coral in my tank. I have a 24g nano cube with CF 50/50 bulbs I think I average 3.5 or maybe a little more per gallon. Is this enough? He says the CF lights put our better lights that some of the other lights. I'm just don't want to make a mistake. What do you think here?

How deep is the tank and what is the exact lighting? LPS corals in general are not high up there when it comes to lighting needs. As long as it's a decent amount of HO fluorescent, you should be okay. Just remember you need to monitor alk and Ca as well.

Cheers
Steve

It's about 18 inches deep. I've got 72 watts of high intensity JBJ compact fluorescent lighting in it. It's 24g. It's pretty I'd like to have one but I don't want to make that I wish I hadn't purchases. I've made to many already. Nothing I regret just disappointed in.

Kinda iffy actually. One reason the watt/gal shouldn't be relied on. If the tank was shallower, you'd be okay but I don't think you'll be successful with a 2x36w PC @ an 18" depth. A 2x65w would have beeen a sure thing.

Cheers
Steve

my brain is flourishing under 2x55w pc (actinic/10000k) and one 20w NO fluoro. i think it will do great. i think brains like it in the sandbed, thats where mine is. its about 15" from the lights.
how much is it?i got mine for $18.99 in sf.

HTH

i think it will do great under 2x36w pc 50/50 in the sandbed. my brain is hardy - its overcome several BAD galaxea attacks.

is it a striking color? check out my brain in my memeber gallery...its neon green and orange.

2x55w + 20w NO with only a 15" depth makes a difference over 2x36w @ 18". Personally I'd not do it but it's a choice you'll have to make.

This doesn't mean you can't keep an LPS coral, just not one that needs to be on the subtsrate. :wink:

If you lived closer I'd just give you a frag to try...

Cheers
Steve

Thank you Steve that is nice of you. I'm still thinking. I don't want to make something unhappy.

Back
Top Bottom