Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-18-2008, 03:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Lightbulb To grow or not to grow OGO

I have several tangs that beat ich, I believe, because I fed them a clip of ogo a day. I am now considering culturing ogo myself, in an attempt to always have some available, decrease weekly driving to the LFS, and save some $$$; gas & ogo are expensive & I cant spend less than $50 a visit - I cannot control myself, its an addiction. I have spare equipment lying around but have not done this because 3 LFS within 20 miles sell the fresh stuff, and there is now this freeze dried ogo that rehydrates to acceptable quality.

I dont want to buy a chiller just for this. I dont have the space to connect another tank in line. I want to do the least work. Here are my options: if anyone has/is doing this let me know if its worth it.

1. put my 10g glass tank on my sunny porch, fill it with nutrient rich water from my weekly water changes, let the hot Southern California sun light it, run a 300 g/h powerhead in it and try to control the temp with a spongefilter.

2. put my 30g rubbermaid tub in a corner of the garage, use 15g of the same water change water, hang my old PFO 250W 10K MH light above it, add a 700g/h powerhead, turn a house fan on it and pray the temperature stays less than 90'F.

Will either work? Is it too much work? Is freeze dried the way to go? Here is a pic of 3 of the 4 superstars with fat ogo-bellies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rt-Side.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	13524  

rayray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 11:04 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Are your tangs still in the 75 or did you get the 300 gallon tank?

How would adding a sponge filter help control the temperature of a tank?

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 01:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
still in 75g

Planning the ideal 300g, but keep modifying plans everytime I read something new on this forum. Putting it in a place where I can have dedicate 30g fuge just for ogo, if this works out.
rayray is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com