To grow or not to grow OGO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rayray

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have several tangs that beat ich, I believe, because I fed them a clip of ogo a day. I am now considering culturing ogo myself, in an attempt to always have some available, decrease weekly driving to the LFS, and save some $$$; gas & ogo are expensive & I cant spend less than $50 a visit - I cannot control myself, its an addiction. I have spare equipment lying around but have not done this because 3 LFS within 20 miles sell the fresh stuff, and there is now this freeze dried ogo that rehydrates to acceptable quality.

I dont want to buy a chiller just for this. I dont have the space to connect another tank in line. I want to do the least work. Here are my options: if anyone has/is doing this let me know if its worth it.

1. put my 10g glass tank on my sunny porch, fill it with nutrient rich water from my weekly water changes, let the hot Southern California sun light it, run a 300 g/h powerhead in it and try to control the temp with a spongefilter.

2. put my 30g rubbermaid tub in a corner of the garage, use 15g of the same water change water, hang my old PFO 250W 10K MH light above it, add a 700g/h powerhead, turn a house fan on it and pray the temperature stays less than 90'F.

Will either work? Is it too much work? Is freeze dried the way to go? Here is a pic of 3 of the 4 superstars with fat ogo-bellies.

Attachments

• Rt-Side.jpg
    Rt-Side.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Are your tangs still in the 75 or did you get the 300 gallon tank?

How would adding a sponge filter help control the temperature of a tank?

still in 75g

Planning the ideal 300g, but keep modifying plans everytime I read something new on this forum. Putting it in a place where I can have dedicate 30g fuge just for ogo, if this works out.

Back
Top Bottom