To hide or not to hide sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dustinfeint

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I picked up a 40 gallon breeder tank yesterday at the PETCO $1/g sale and I have a 20 gallon that Im going to be using as the Sump. Right now they have stands for the 40 gallon on clearance for $28. The only problem is they are metal stands and they are open so if I were to put the sump in the bottom of the stand it would be clearly visible. I really don't want to spend like 200 dollars on the stand but I will if I have to. I just think this is a pretty nice deal on a stand and I was wondering how many people have their sump hidden or in plain view? What do you guys think the best way to go about this is? If I end up getting the metal stand are there any suggestions? Thanks!

So I picked up a 40 gallon breeder tank yesterday at the PETCO $1/g sale and I have a 20 gallon that Im going to be using as the Sump. Right now they have stands for the 40 gallon on clearance for $28. The only problem is they are metal stands and they are open so if I were to put the sump in the bottom of the stand it would be clearly visible. I really don't want to spend like 200 dollars on the stand but I will if I have to. I just think this is a pretty nice deal on a stand and I was wondering how many people have their sump hidden or in plain view? What do you guys think the best way to go about this is? If I end up getting the metal stand are there any suggestions? Thanks!

My sump looks awful so I wouldn't want to show it off... ever. But I have seen some nice display refugiums that look great. They just tend to not be as effective with nutrient export because they aren't crammed full of stuff like mine.

Just a thought: put a cloth on the stand, just like a table cloth on a dinner table so that the sump area is hidden.

Never seen this happen before.

Only thing is it would make everyone wonder if there is a magic show with a glowing curtain when sump light is on :)

True. Hopefully the sump light can be turned on during a time when nobody is around, such as work and sleep time.

Back
Top Bottom