To much Circulation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rscomia

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is there such a thing as to much circulation in a saltwater tank? In my 90 gallon tank I have 2 1300 gph wavemakers and my return pump is 1340 gph at 13ft of head and Ive only got about 10 ft head on it

From what Ive read you cant have too much circulation. Only time its a problem is if its blowing all your substrate around. Other than that fish will adapt to it and corals etc will love it..

Shane.

I don't think that you're too high to be concerned about, but you do have quite a bit in there.

Like Shane said, as long as your substrate isn't blowing around and you're fish aren't killing themselves to stay off the walls, you're probably OK.

You do need to watch that certain corals will not tolerate high amounts of flow, so they need to be specifically placed in lower-flow areas of the tank (assuming you have corals)

I dont actually run all them 24/7 about 6 hours a day is all that all them are on then I shut one wavemaker off then at night turn the other off so all that is on is my return Is this the correct way to do it??

So long as whats in your tank is looking healthy and everything is good I would say you must be doin it right.. Im just a FOWLR guy, no experience with corals only what Ive read..

Shane.

That was me up until about a month ago when I bought this new tank now I have a FOWLR and the beginings of a reef tank (very addicting hobby) Learning alot from reading and here at AA

I have an add on question. lol

You said you turn off the PH's at night and just leave the return running? Is that ok? I currently have 2 ph's on 24/7 and I worry that my fish don't have any down time. i do turn off everything including hob skimmer when I fedd since the fish are still very tiny.

Any suggestions would be great!
thanks

carey said:

You said you turn off the PH's at night and just leave the return running? Is that ok? I currently have 2 ph's on 24/7 and I worry that my fish don't have any down time. i do turn off everything including hob skimmer when I fedd since the fish are still very tiny.

thanks

Why turn off skimmer during feeding time? What's the purpose?

thanks
I have heard they need to to rest In my other tank I have a PH running 24/7 and I dont seem to have any issues I wonder if the fish acclimate themselves to where the current is or isnt

Theres so much flow in my tank there really isnt a resting spot lol. maybe i will turn one off at night and see if that's ok.

I have mine on timers return runs all night one wavemaker runs from 7 to 7 and on wave maker runs from 11 to 5 with my halides

Back
Top Bottom