To much light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robbiesamp

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is it possible to have to much light on a reef tank and if yes what's the limit

Yes. And the limit is what your corals can stand. Your corals will let you know its too much but why do you ask?

Something make you think you have too much light?

I am getting 2 metal hay lights tomaro and upgrading from a power compact t5 light and was wondering if that was ok I have a screen to acclaim ate my corals

CorallineAlgae said:
We need more info to answer that. What size tank? What watt halides?

Yep what wattage and size tank. More importantly tank depth.

Going from PC to MH you'll def have to ease your corals into the new lighting. Either move your corals low in the tank or hang those lights high and move them down a couple inches every week.

That's what I'm scared of I'm moving in a few weeks so I'm not worried in messing everything up but I want those lights

Robbiesamp said:
That's what I'm scared of I'm moving in a few weeks so I'm not worried in messing everything up but I want those lights

You wont mess anything up, you can do few things that are super easy. Either a) raise the light higher slowly lowering it week by week b) shorten the photoperiod to 6 hours and increase 1 hour a week or c) use some egg crate or screen under the light and remove a layer every week or two.

I went from 4 t5's to a 150w over a 29g with no light acclimation and everything did fine so i wouldnt worry too much or anything.

Back
Top Bottom