to much light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenny

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is it possible to have to much light?

Currently I only have a 25 gallon tank and down the road I want to buy a 70 gallon corner but i've decided to wait a while before buying it, I am going to get more live rock, a protein skimmer and power heads first.

Anyways, my plan is to put on:

4 x VHO 24" tubes for a total of 300 watts. This is going to be a total of 12 watts per gallon, is that going to be to much? once I move it to the new tank, which probably wont be for another few months thats going to be a little over 4 watts per gallon.

It is virtually impossible to have too much light using fluorescent lighting. Forget about watts, fluorescent lighting is not intense enough to be too much for corals to handle IMO/IME. No matter how many watts/bulbs you use. Just be cautious when light acclimating new additions. When you get the 70 you should place everything in the upper half of the tank and then slowly move things lower if desired so they can get used to having less light available. Fluorescent lighting does not penetrate water very well, so the increased tank height will have an affect on the amount of light available. FWIW I have 2x250w MH and 2x110w VHO over my 55 for a total of 720watts and 13 WPG and I love it(so do my corals lol). HTH

Back
Top Bottom