To much rock a problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neil_04

Aquarium Advice Activist
Last night I was cleaning my glass on my 90 gal, and I started to wonder if I had to much live rock. Might be a stupid question , but I thought I would toss it out there. I'm not even sure how many pounds I have anymore but I know it's around 100.

neil_04 said:
Last night I was cleaning my glass on my 90 gal, and I started to wonder if I had to much live rock. Might be a stupid question , but I thought I would toss it out there. I'm not even sure how many pounds I have anymore but I know it's around 100.

Ps I will post pics when I get home

Thats the right number. You want between 1-1.5 lbs of LR per gallon. Sometimes it comes down to not having an efficient setup in the tank and it can look cluttered. Some clever aquascaping can fix your problem, if there even is one.

Well when I first started I was going for the look of a display at the lfs. I really liked it ,but it's a bow front so it's a completely diff footprint. Then I bought a piece of man made fully cured. It helped spread coralline in the tank, but I think it's ugly lol. Working on the pic right now

You only need as much rock as your bioload requires. If your tank is not heavily stocked then you could probably get away with removing 10-20lbs. Also porous rock has more surface area and which means more surface for bacteria to colonize which means you need less rock. 1 lbs per gallon is only a guideline.

Back
Top Bottom