Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 03-27-2015, 08:36 PM   #11
Macro Addict
Community Moderator
 
54seaweed's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 7,540
hey bluelobster empty your in box it be full
__________________

__________________
Save
54seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 02:04 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
BLUElobster99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 736
Thanks I went and cleaned it out
__________________

__________________
BLUElobster99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 03:23 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
icydeath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 1,294
What you use as media shouldn't matter too much... just enough surface area for biological filtration. Keep an eye on nitrates though.

Also, there isn't much of a point to using carbon unless removing medication
__________________
“Books are my friends, my companions. They make me laugh and cry and find meaning in life.” ― Christopher Paolini, Eragon
"By books you mean fish, right?" ― Raymond
icydeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:11 AM   #14
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 18,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by icydeath View Post
Also, there isn't much of a point to using carbon unless removing medication
That is not true in the slightest. This is directly from Randy Holmes-Farley from some time ago on the subject.
Quote:
I run it 24/7 in a cannister filter.

It reduces yellowing.
It exports organics and metals attached to them.
It may bind organic toxins from the water.
It makes a great place for bacteria to grow for my organic carbon dosing.

Drawbacks may possibly include possibility of HLLE beign encouraged in some fish.
EDIT: That said, in terms of a QT tank you shouldn't need to run ANY type of media. A QT or hospital tank is as minimal as possible. No filter media, just a small powerhead for flow and some PVC as a place to hide.
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:46 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
What about a bacteria colony? I must be a "quack" then....because I don't qt anything and have only lost 1 fish (to acclimation) since I've been in this hobby. I disagree that a bright white pvc pipe is just as stressful as a recreation if it's natural environment. I realize I'm in the minority here, but I'm not changing my practices just because the masses think it's a good idea.
I just tossed 6 wild caught fish into my tank. Let's see what happens. I'll be your guinea pig
__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:06 PM   #16
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 18,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
What about a bacteria colony? I must be a "quack" then....because I don't qt anything and have only lost 1 fish (to acclimation) since I've been in this hobby. I disagree that a bright white pvc pipe is just as stressful as a recreation if it's natural environment. I realize I'm in the minority here, but I'm not changing my practices just because the masses think it's a good idea.
I just tossed 6 wild caught fish into my tank. Let's see what happens. I'll be your guinea pig
I don't do anything different from yourself Doug. No QT tank here. But when it comes to those that run them, it is bare bones and normally managed by water changes to keep the toxic levels at 0 from all those that I've had contact with.

And for the record, I couldn't tell which fish losses that I've had could have been prevented by such, if at all, since it always ends up being a disappearance during the night after being introduced into the tank.
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:45 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jeffaquarius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 1,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
What about a bacteria colony? I must be a "quack" then....because I don't qt anything and have only lost 1 fish (to acclimation) since I've been in this hobby. I disagree that a bright white pvc pipe is just as stressful as a recreation if it's natural environment. I realize I'm in the minority here, but I'm not changing my practices just because the masses think it's a good idea.
I just tossed 6 wild caught fish into my tank. Let's see what happens. I'll be your guinea pig
I'm with you Doug. Neither do I QT my new fish. Some people here are just good in talking about it by the book. IME as long as your fish are not stressed out your tank would be okay. Parasites are inevitable but if fish have good immune system they can fight it off. The reason why most new fish specially tangs gets ich is because of wrong acclimation. However, I do treat them individually in separate tank when parasites becomes uncontrollable.
__________________
"Nothing great in the world has ever been accomplished without passion". George Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 02:29 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
I'm with you Doug. Neither do I QT my new fish. Some people here are just good in talking about it by the book. IME as long as your fish are not stressed out your tank would be okay. Parasites are inevitable but if fish have good immune system they can fight it off. The reason why most new fish specially tangs gets ich is because of wrong acclimation. However, I do treat them individually in separate tank when parasites becomes uncontrollable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
I don't do anything different from yourself Doug. No QT tank here. But when it comes to those that run them, it is bare bones and normally managed by water changes to keep the toxic levels at 0 from all those that I've had contact with.

And for the record, I couldn't tell which fish losses that I've had could have been prevented by such, if at all, since it always ends up being a disappearance during the night after being introduced into the tank.
Those are both very common sentiments among the reefing world. And some people that follow that rule have no problems. But the rest of the aquarists that aren't as lucky usually pay for it in lost fish.

My question to anyone that doesn't quarantine:

Is it worth losing all your fish to avoid caring for the fish in a QT tank for 4 weeks?

If the answer is yes, then don't QT. If the answer is no, well... you get the picture.

If you have a healthy tank then Ich is not really a problem. I kept my tank this way for close to a year without any deaths related to disease. When it came time to switch over to my 90g tank I pulled all my fish out of my 20g, added them into my 90g running a cycled filter. The plan was to add some fish, let them get cozy and comfortable, and then drop it down to do a hyposalinity treatment to get rid of any remaning traces of ich in my tank and make sure the new fish didn't have ich.

The few fish I added in one at a time were a yellow tang, caudern cardinal, and a McCosker's wrasse. I spent approx 4 - 5 hours drip acclimating them and I added them about a week apart. The only aggression there was came from the clowns when I added the McCoskers in but I stuck them into the sump and added a few decorations to keep them happy. Nitrate never rose above 10ppm and there was never a sign of ammonia or nitrite. The pH was stable the entire time as I ran a sump and kept the lighting schedule on alternate timers. About a week after I added the last fish before I started dropping the salinity; I lost my first fish, then over the course of a week I lost all but a blenny and my clowns to marine velvet. I drove an hour away to the nearest LFS to get some copper and treated the tank for it.

All in all this cost me approx. $250. But compared to some here I am a relative newcomer to salt water. If you ask around, especially on other forums, there are many veterans that have had a similar experience and lost their entire tank or close to it due to not QTing.

Mr Saltwater Tank tv talks about it a little bit here.. His bill was $1,200 in lost fish.
__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 03:56 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,325
To quarantine or not to quarantine

I'm a quack too. No surprises there.
QT is sometimes not done right and does stress the fish more in many cases. Rarely is a QT system run as clean as your main tank. Certainly it can be desirable for observation and maybe even treatment. But I haven't seen disease in 20 years. And I have added fish I saved from the LFS that were not in good shape. As in the natural environment, it's hard for a free swimming parasite to exist in a tank full of filter feeders. But in the end, IMO, placing the fish into the most relaxing natural environment will allow their natural defenses to recover and many things they can cure themselves of. A good example is how live stock is commercially raised. When all the animals live on top of each other and are constantly stressed, they have to fill them up with antibiotics. Any farmer will tell you that allowing the animals some space and security keeps them healthy without all the antibiotics. I think fish may respond the same way. If you have a smaller tank, without the natural defenses, or are stocked to the "gills" then a QT may be necessary.

I do have a cure for baldness that uses 20 double A batteries. Quack!

If you QT just make that system as livable as your main tank, no temperature fluctuations and pristine water, otherwise the fish will just get sicker. Medication might eliminate the symptoms in the QT system, but the fish may still be weakened and becomes a problem once you end the QT.

I'm not a fan of Mr. Saltwater as I have heard him say some things I didn't think were very accurate. Each to their own though!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 04:20 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
I'm a quack too. No surprises there.
QT is rarely done right and does stress the fish more in most cases. Rarely is a QT system run as clean as your main tank. Certainly it can be desirable for observation and maybe even treatment. But I haven't seen disease in 20 years. And I have added fish I saved from the LFS that were not in good shape. As in the natural environment, it's hard for a free swimming parasite to exist in a tank full of filter feeders. But in the end, IMO, placing the fish into the most relaxing natural environment will allow their natural defenses to recover and many things they can cure themselves of. A good example is how live stock is commercially raised. When all the animals live on top of each other and are constantly stressed, they have to fill them up with antibiotics. Any farmer will tell you that allowing the animals some space and security keeps them healthy without all the antibiotics. I think fish may respond the same way. If you have a smaller tank, without the natural defenses, or are stocked to the "gills" then a QT may be necessary.

I do have a cure for baldness that uses 20 double A batteries.

If you QT just make that system as livable as your main tank, no temperature fluctuations and pristine water, otherwise the fish will just get sicker. Medication might eliminate the symptoms in the QT system, but the fish may still be weakened and becomes a problem once you end the QT.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

All I can think of is this



I can honestly say I've never had a problem with either stress or parameters in my QT tank. I use the water from my DT water changes to change the water in my 20g QT so that's up to a 50% change every week. I also throw a handfull of Chaeto in there or my caulerpa for algae eaters. The nitrate generally stays at 5ppm or below.

I have enough decorations in there to give the fish plenty of hiding places. Rocks, fake plants, and caves.
__________________

__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
quarantine

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To quarantine or not to quarantine busymom23 Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 13 01-25-2015 02:25 PM
Quarantine....agressive or not? Kimlafeiet Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 10 11-06-2013 05:56 PM
Did not quarantine long enough I guess piao liang yu Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 14 03-12-2013 08:39 PM
Quarantine tank not helping Missjmeide Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral 3 09-27-2011 03:56 AM
Setting up Quarantine and not sure about water set up fourmyclowns Saltwater Reef Aquaria 14 05-21-2005 06:11 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.