Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-29-2015, 12:56 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Regular

Good question. It was a 150g tank with about 8 to 10 fish before adding the last one, I don't think it was an overcrowding situation but that last fish was a good size beautiful emperor angel that was offered to me for free by a friend that was moving. He clearly stressed a sailfin tang (known to be ick magnets). Ended up losing 6 fish (including the tang and emperor) and having to tear apart the tank to catch and treat the remaining fish. So called reef safe treatments are useless. Only good thing that came out of it was I learned a greater appreciation for corals and inverts as I kept the display tank fallow for 2 months. So your point is well taken. Could've been stress-induced.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 03-29-2015, 01:07 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

I also have 150 gal with minimal stockings. Yellow and blue tang plus flame angel and about ten 1-inch fish. After adding a 5-inch brown powder tang that's when my blue tang got some ich. Moved him to a QT on hyper salinity treatment. It's been 6 weeks now and none of the other fish in the DT shows any sign of ich. Can anyone explain why?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 01:51 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd say your blue tang just happened to have a weaker immune system or was stressed and the other fish were able to fight it off. Because ich has a very short period of being water born, perhaps it came from the lfs water. How do you acclimate?
Old 03-29-2015, 01:56 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
I also have 150 gal with minimal stockings. Yellow and blue tang plus flame angel and about ten 1-inch fish. After adding a 5-inch brown powder tang that's when my blue tang got some ich. Moved him to a QT on hyper salinity treatment. It's been 6 weeks now and none of the other fish in the DT shows any sign of ich. Can anyone explain why?
A tang's thin slime coat coupled with the stress of adding another tang.

The ich is in the tank, but it's not really going to be noticeable unless something goes wrong or another fish gets stressed out.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:34 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 03-29-2015, 03:04 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
A tang's thin slime coat coupled with the stress of adding another tang.

The ich is in the tank, but it's not really going to be noticeable unless something goes wrong or another fish gets stressed out.
Exactly. I had the blue tang for 2 years. If acclimation was the problem the new fish (brown powder tang) should have developed ich first. This confirms my belief that ich can be present in the tank without bothering your fish until they are stressed.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:08 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

That's the way it is in the ocean. Live seawater is loaded with parasites and other organisms, look at a sample under a microscope. You will be amazed. Just like humans, if the immune system is working, you are perfectly safe, but let it falter there is always something out there that will take advantage of that weakness. It's a cruel world...

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 03-29-2015, 03:10 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
Exactly. I had the blue tang for 2 years. If acclimation was the problem the new fish (brown powder tang) should have developed ich first. This confirms my belief that ich can be present in the tank without bothering your fish until they are stressed.
Salt water ich should never be fatal assuming there's an appropriate and well maintained set up. Their immune systems are fairly adept at keeping it at bay. However, when something goes wrong it will be a problem.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:15 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

To quarantine or not to quarantine

Fish that have no scales, especially tangs, are all much more vulnerable to external parasites as only their slime protects them. They are the canary in the mine. Fish with slime coats and scales present a bigger obstacle to parasites that have to burrow into fish flesh. That's why tangs many times are the initial problem as they become the factor that allows the parasites to bloom into a big problem in a enclosed system. You don't see fish in the wild being wiped out from ICH, because in the wild the parasites have problems maintaining a high spore density.

That's also why I harp on tangs being kept fat and calm as that is what seems to control the health of their slime coats.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 03-29-2015, 03:24 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's a perfect analogy Greg. You can sterilize your tank from parasites but the question is for how long? I agree that parasites have short life floating in water. Does it mean in seconds, hours or days? You can be careful of not adding the remaining water from LFS with new addition corals and inverts. Just remember that they are not dry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quarantine

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com