Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-29-2015, 03:27 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

To quarantine or not to quarantine

Yes, but in the end, the fish themselves may be carrying something. It's like the old "boy in a bubble." Once the immune system is failed, it's almost impossible to provide a sterile enough environment that something doesn't slip thru. The key is in husbandry of the fish themselves to insure their natural immune systems work. This is the only real dependable long term answer. Folks like myself, who don't usually QT, haven't seen ICH in over twenty years. Any fish that gets a parasite (and a few have) simply shrug that parasite off if that slime coat is working. The parasite population can't explode and them overwhelm fish that are on the borderline.

I've made my own argument for QT. I need to personally re-evaluate this. A new fish may be best kept in QT to enable that fish to recover from transit and regenerate their slime. As always, there are two or more ways to skin the cat. (Wherever that phrase came from, it's horrible...)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Old 03-29-2015, 03:44 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Yes, but in the end, the fish themselves may be carrying something. It's like the old "boy in a bubble." Once the immune system is failed, it's almost impossible to provide a sterile enough environment that something doesn't slip thru. The key is in husbandry of the fish themselves to insure their natural immune systems work. This is the only real dependable long term answer. Folks like myself, who don't usually QT, haven't seen ICH in over twenty years. Any fish that gets a parasite (and a few have) simply shrug that parasite off if that slime coat is working. The parasite population can't explode and them overwhelm fish that are on the borderline.

I've made my own argument for QT. I need to personally re-evaluate this. A new fish may be best kept in QT to enable that fish to recover from transit and regenerate their slime. As always, there are two or more ways to skin the cat. (Wherever that phrase came from, it's horrible...)

I totally agree with the 1st paragraph but not the 2nd. If you picked a compatible fish with tank, I believe they are better off and recover faster in DT than in QT.
Edit: Provided the acclimation is done properly.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:52 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

That's the quandary I have. If I had the room for a properly setup QT system, it would be hard to argue with that as precautions are warranted. But only if that QT system is up to snuff and is as nice as the main tank is. Otherwise, I would tend to think the QT could make the problems worse.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:41 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Monday I introduced to my display 6 wild caught fish, purchased from Sea Dwelling Creatures. It's Sunday. No Ich, velvet, or anything else I can see as of yet except for a weird bruise on one tang's chin. It already seems to be healing. I think he may have bumped an anemone...but who knows, it could be the end of my $500.00 purchase.....TO BE CONTINUED.......
Old 03-30-2015, 02:19 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I have a QT but don't use it like most I think. I put my fish in there for the minimum amount of time because I can tell it's a more stressfull environment than my display. Thant being said, I just bought a Naso that looked totally healthy in the store. Brought it home and it wouldnt eat. Next day, nope. Then I noticed it had a lumpy belly, ope I've seen this before. Sure enough, little stringy worms show up out of the anus. Now because I QT'd I could add the Prazipro to kill the intestinal worms right away and he has a way better chance. I like the small empty invironment to observe before putting the fish in the display. I've had 2 QT fish develope ich within the first few days of being brought home.

Seconly, i will never purchase a fish from a tank that I see any other fish with ich. At my LFS if I like a fish, i look at every fish in the tank. If one has a spot, I move on because there could be ich you can't see on your fish. Take is slow, even if you see that fish you've been wanting for a while, there will always be another chance. Risking outbreaks in your display isn't worth it. I had a powder brown tang bring in velvet and let me tell you, it was the worst decision I've made while reefing...
Old 03-30-2015, 04:03 PM   #46
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:57 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

Take note. It has emphasized that if you QT you must QT not only fish but everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:57 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
Take note. It has emphasized that if you QT you must QT not only fish but everything.
Nobody here is disagreeing with that.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:24 AM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Monday I introduced to my display 6 wild caught fish, purchased from Sea Dwelling Creatures. It's Sunday. No Ich, velvet, or anything else I can see as of yet except for a weird bruise on one tang's chin. It already seems to be healing. I think he may have bumped an anemone...but who knows, it could be the end of my $500.00 purchase.....TO BE CONTINUED.......
Just curious if your new 6 wild caught fish are still swimming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:33 AM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
All fish are doing well, eating prepared foods, and not a sign of disease.

Tags
quarantine

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com