Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-05-2015, 12:52 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
All fish are doing well, eating prepared foods, and not a sign of disease.
Im curious mr x. Do you dip new corals before you add them to your tank?

Old 04-05-2015, 03:53 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't quarantine anything or dip anything and haven't had any deaths since I stArted this hobby I just pay close attention to what I'm buying and anything else in the the tanks before I buy anything. The only deaths I've ever had were the first couple fish I ever had and that was because I didn't do research on there compatibility

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 04-05-2015, 04:45 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Im curious mr x. Do you dip new corals before you add them to your tank?
Only ones I get from other reefers' tanks. I haven't found a single red bug, monti eating nudi, or acropora eating flatworm on wild corals.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:29 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Greg is totally correct about tangs and why they are so susceptible to external parasites, as well as his remarks about immunity in general.

A while ago I purchased a yellow coris wrasse, didn't quarantine and introduced ich into my tank.

I hooked up the UV as a prophylactic attempt to contain a big outbreak, started doing 5-10 gallon water changes every 5 days vacuuming the substrate to remove any eggs, and just made sure everyone was fat and happy. In a week spots showed up on a few fish, but only ever 1-3.
What I also noticed during this, or at least it seemed this way, is the cleaner shrimp would seek out the fish that were showing signs of distress, and my flame angel made regular stops by the cleaning station. I even saw the shrimp picking cysts off it, went in with a few spots on his head/fins, came out clean with little blemishes where the cysts were.
pretty cool to watch the little dance the fish and shrimp go through.

!!But cleaner shrimp WILL NOT prevent a big outbreak if other factors are not up to snuff.!!

It's been about 10 days now since I have seen any signs of ich, except for the occasional scratching, but that could be a number of things. If I'm going to have an ongoing issue, I should see more spots in the next couple of days.
So for me at least, the fish are healthy and happy enough to easily fight off any infestation, now to just keep it that way.

I also watch the fish in the store and check the overall health of their complete system.
I just assume that ich is present, haven't been to a store in ages that didn't have a few infected fish, it's how/what they do that I look at.
If I mentioned a sick fish and they take measures to help it right there, that is fine. It's the ones that try to feed you some lame excuse or just shrug it off that don't get my business.

wish more lfs would quarantine their new stock, but with most offering no type of guarantee, why should they.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:16 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict

At your lfs the fish have lesser stress since their salinity is at the fish comfort zone (1.20 or lower). It is very important when acclimating that the temp, pH and salinity must be equal to DT parameter otherwise that stress leads to ich outbreak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:21 AM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

This other thread is quite related to this topic.

Ginger - Ich treatment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:28 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've always wondered why people say that keeping fish at a lower salinity of 1020 or 1018 is less stressful since the reefs they were collected from are 1025. I may be wrong though.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:32 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUElobster99 View Post
I've always wondered why people say that keeping fish at a lower salinity of 1020 or 1018 is less stressful since the reefs they were collected from are 1025. I may be wrong though.

That's a good question, I'm wondering that myself.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:37 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

To quarantine or not to quarantine

It relieves osmotic pressure on the fish.
I think...

Old 04-08-2015, 08:42 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would have liked to see sources that are newer than 30 years old, but this is a decent read.

Aquarium Fish: Applications for Hyposalinity Therapy: The Benefits of Salinity Manipulation for Marine Fish — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

Tags
quarantine

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com