To reef or FOWLR?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psychocircus91

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm about half way through my cycle of my 75 gallon.

I'm torn between a reef with small fish, or a fowlr with largish fish (none too large for the tank)

I know personal preference plays a big part, but in your experience which has given you more enjoyment? Reef or Fowlr?

Reef for sure! Coral growth is so rewarding to see :)

My girlfriend and I thought we were set on FOWLR for a russell's lion and a snowflake eel, but after seeing lots of reef tanks it is very tempting. One it will keep me busy much longer, getting to add new additions every couple weeks, and two like you said watching it grow.

See FOWLR fish have more personality.
Reef tanks are more pretty.
So it depends on if you want something pretty to look at or if you want a tank filled with personalities. I have both and love both :)

what is the dimension of your tank? If you have a long and narrow tank 48x20x18, then I suggest FOWLR, if you have a tank that has a bit of depth to it such as 30x24x24 then it is a lot better for Reef.
Reason is because if you use a narrow tank for reef, it will end up the aqua scape is going to look like a "apple stand"

Also if about budget, FOWLR is a lot cheaper for the long run where for Reef is a lot of extra cost on lighting, filtration, dosing, etc. However, watching the coral grow from frag to a colony is very rewarding.

Reef! if you don't try to make SPS dominate tank it is a lot cheaper throughout but still way more than a FOWLER.

It is a lot more enjoyable and it's nice to see colorful fish contrasted by colorful swaying of corals

i love my reef tank, with reef safe fish, when ever i travel , i look for pet stores, to pick up a coral to add to the mix

Thanks for the opinions. Money isn't a huge issue because I gave up motorcycling so replacing one expensive hobby with another. It is a standard 75 gallon.

thats the only draw back for me was not having lionfish, but i kind of got over it having inverts and other fish and corals that make the tank busy looking with fish corals swaying ,my anenemies with my clowns, cleaner shrimp at his cleaning station with fish droping in to get picked off,lol

Thanks guys. I'm going to go with a reef and stock accordingly.

My tests just read zero for ammonia and nitrites so I'll be getting some crabs, snails, and a fish over the next couple weeks.

Thanks for the opinions. Money isn't a huge issue because I gave up motorcycling so replacing one expensive hobby with another. It is a standard 75 gallon.

I started with a 180g FO and then set up a 90g reef. While I like both tanks, I'm converting the 180g to reef when I get the chance. Not giving up motorcycles so it will take a little time.

Back
Top Bottom