To rinse or not to rinse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GhostKnife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am about to put my sand and base rock in the tank. I don't think I can rinse as my sand is too fine for my strainer. Is there a other way?

Put in a 5 gallon bucket and fill about a 1/4 of the bucket with the sand and then put water in and swish around. Once the sand settles then pour off the cloudy water.

When i washed my sand i put it in a tub in the sink and ran water while agitating the sand until as clean as possible.

okay mel i have my 5 gal... Of course i have that laying around... actually i have 8 of em... any ways I am going to rinse my sand like you said and pour out the cloudy water. I also am wondering. This is how I am going to set up my system. I am doing the sand and base rock tonight and figuring out my ro/di spectrapure system mon tues then start making water. If i rinse the sand it wont hurt it to sit out for a week or two will it? I can cover it with acrylic covers that of which i will not be using once started up. What are your thoughts.
thanks
Dave

I dont know if I would let it sit out a week or so. Wait till you have your water going and then do it all at the same time. Maybe someone will think differently but I suggest getting the sand and rock in and then add water but I would not let it dry back out. JMO though.

Okay... What would happen if I did not rinse the sand. I do not have a filter so the dust would settle when I do add the water. Right?

Yes it will settle but instead of it settling in a few days I would imagine it would be a week or longer.

I have found that no matter how much you rinse you will still have a sand storm, the natural oceans have them from time to time as the larger particles and friction break them into smaller ones. I would still suggest Mike's method. I did it that way with 270Lbs of sand, rinsing each bag 6 times!!
I have not tried cheese cloth, maybe some one with experience can chime in....

Has anyone tried cheese cloth?

I have lined my colander with a double layer of cheese cloth to strain the water out of things like pumpkin puree and such. I don't see why it would not work just as well for even the finest sand.

When I get ready to put everything in my tank and fire it up I was planning on doing the cheese cloth/colander thing to rinse the sand. I will report back with my results when I do. I would not wait for me though, it is going to take a few months to get to the point where it is time to add water and cycle. I refuse to charge anything for my hobby so I have to put a few bucks away every paycheck to finance the setup.

Back
Top Bottom