Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-16-2003, 02:18 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

To skim or not to skim!

I am debating on whether or not I want to use a protein skimmer and I was wondering what everyones views are on this idea. Right now I have a 30 gallon tank with a DSB and I also have a 10 gallon sump underneath with more substrate (Crushed coral wixed with live sand) along with 3 or 4 different kinds of caulerpa.

Just wondering what everyones views on this is

Thanks,
Josh

Old 12-16-2003, 02:22 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Pretty much everyone uses a skimmer on here, very beneficial as they remove DOC's in your tank.

Old 12-16-2003, 04:05 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Skim! I think macroalgae filters/refugiums can be a valuable addition to a tank, but quite often they are too small to truly eliminate the need for a skimmer on most systems. IMO/IME the advantages of skimming far outweigh the drawbacks.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:10 AM   #4

They are very nice to have as a safey net. Thigs can go bad quickly if something dies unseen and you have no skimmer in a 30 gallon. I would run one if I were you.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:34 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
My recommendation, since you stated in your other post that you had about 25" of space under the tank, would be to go with an Aqua C Urchin. I think that's the best skimmer you can get for that size tank. Get the MJ1200 pump option if you buy one. I guess it goes without saying that I would recommend the use of a skimmer. You may need to modify the sump a little so that the skimmer will dump skimmed water into the return chamber. You don't want it to be recirculated back through the skimmer. A little creative plumbing would probably take care of that though.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:25 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

I skim, I believe in skimming, I think everyone should skim.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 01:02 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't skim, I don't believe in skimming, I don't think anyone has to skim.

IME, the vast majority of people who are "skimming" are using inferior products that do very little other than make noise. IMO, with sensible stocking and other means of nutrient export I have no reason to skim...as that is the purpose. If no other methods of export are implemented though, yes I believe one should skim, skim, skim.
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 03:27 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I have three SW tanks and two of them are without skimmers and one is with a skimmer. To combat the skimmer not being on those other tanks I do weekly water changes and feed very sparingly.

I have been skimmerless for about a year and half and came back to the all mighty skimmer on one tank because I had a film building up on the top of the tank that I just could not get rid of without putting in an entire overflow/sump system so I just elected for a surface skimming skimmer.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 08:58 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

What other means of nutrient export are there?
Old 12-17-2003, 12:25 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Water changes, coral harvesting, macro-algae harvesting, deep sand beds, refugiums (most often combined with macro-algae and/or DSB), carbon, etc.

HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com