To skim or not to skim!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joshsmit56001

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am debating on whether or not I want to use a protein skimmer and I was wondering what everyones views are on this idea. Right now I have a 30 gallon tank with a DSB and I also have a 10 gallon sump underneath with more substrate (Crushed coral wixed with live sand) along with 3 or 4 different kinds of caulerpa.

Just wondering what everyones views on this is

Thanks,
Josh

Pretty much everyone uses a skimmer on here, very beneficial as they remove DOC's in your tank.

Skim! I think macroalgae filters/refugiums can be a valuable addition to a tank, but quite often they are too small to truly eliminate the need for a skimmer on most systems. IMO/IME the advantages of skimming far outweigh the drawbacks.

They are very nice to have as a safey net. Thigs can go bad quickly if something dies unseen and you have no skimmer in a 30 gallon. I would run one if I were you.

My recommendation, since you stated in your other post that you had about 25" of space under the tank, would be to go with an Aqua C Urchin. I think that's the best skimmer you can get for that size tank. Get the MJ1200 pump option if you buy one. I guess it goes without saying that I would recommend the use of a skimmer. You may need to modify the sump a little so that the skimmer will dump skimmed water into the return chamber. You don't want it to be recirculated back through the skimmer. A little creative plumbing would probably take care of that though.

I don't skim, I don't believe in skimming, I don't think anyone has to skim. :mrgreen:

IME, the vast majority of people who are "skimming" are using inferior products that do very little other than make noise. IMO, with sensible stocking and other means of nutrient export I have no reason to skim...as that is the purpose. If no other methods of export are implemented though, yes I believe one should skim, skim, skim. :wink:

I have three SW tanks and two of them are without skimmers and one is with a skimmer. To combat the skimmer not being on those other tanks I do weekly water changes and feed very sparingly.

I have been skimmerless for about a year and half and came back to the all mighty skimmer on one tank because I had a film building up on the top of the tank that I just could not get rid of without putting in an entire overflow/sump system so I just elected for a surface skimming skimmer.

Water changes, coral harvesting, macro-algae harvesting, deep sand beds, refugiums (most often combined with macro-algae and/or DSB), carbon, etc.

hmm.. I am finishing the start of a new saltwater coral tank, and plan on having a refugium in it. how ddep is a DSB for a 29 gallon tank refugium? Ohh yah I don't have a skimmer either.. not really panning on it...

Harvesting would be growing corals or macro algae and then fragging/cutting them as they grow. In the case of macroalgae and using it for nutrent export the macro algae will grow almost like a weed in a refugium and will need to be harvested(pruned) regularly.

Back
Top Bottom