To sump or not to sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bectan01

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been running my 55g for over a year with only loads of live rock, a couple of power heads and a protein skimmer. I am fully stocked with 7 small/medium sized fish and lately some beginner corals. All is well. My friend has a 2ft aquarium that she said I can have. So here is my question - turn it into a sump/fuge? I have no idea how to do that. Will that be a great benefit to my tank, worth the effort? My in tank skimmer would fit in it so i do like that idea. Or should I just turn it into a nano :) Honest opinions and advise on what I would need equipment wise? My tank is not drilled...

I also have a 55 I added a sump to the added water volume is good for the system I have an overflow box just keep it clean never had a siphon break.

Attachments

• image-1514557430.jpg
    image-1514557430.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 154
Me too. I've got a 55 also and I built a new stand to house a 20 gallon long as a fuge. Best thing I ever did. Running cheato really helped destroy the hair algae in my tank. I would definitely recommend one. Pretty easy to maintain also verses a canister

image-1040025673.jpg

I also have a 55 I added a sump to the added water volume is good for the system I have an overflow box just keep it clean never had a siphon break.

If the siphon breaks ??? Does this mean you need to call your insurance company for flood damage ?

Is there a backup system that could be implemented.

Ruining my floors is not worth the extra clean water.

If the siphon breaks ??? Does this mean you need to call your insurance company for flood damage ?

Is there a backup system that could be implemented.

Ruining my floors is not worth the extra clean water.

There are ways around this. The first is to know your "water line". By simply drilling holes below this line if the power goes out the back siphon would naturally break due to the air once the water level gets below the hole. There are valves that prevent this as well. Also, there are electric overflow boxes that will control this.

The best practice however is to leave room in your sump for the chance of a back siphon. Then no water gets on the floor if something does go wrong.

All in all you have some choices :)

And the short answer is yes. A sump is a very beneficial thing

What gear would I need? The 2ft tank is one whole tank, would I need to divide it? Pumps, plumbing? Thanks for you help guys...

What gear would I need? The 2ft tank is one whole tank, would I need to divide it? Pumps, plumbing? Thanks for you help guys...

Depends on the set up. If you just want a sump dividers are not necessary (however, they will help with bubbles) but I do think that a big benefit of a sump is the Refugium. So I definitely recommend having one.

Needed Parts: filter sock, skimmer, return pump, hosing (or PVC)

With Refugium: live sand (many varieties), live rock, macro algae (multiple varieties, and copepods.

Extra: UV sterilizer, dosing pumps, media canisters, auto top off system.

The sump is a very versatile part of the system so i don't mean to bombard you. I just want you to know the majority of what you can do with a sump.

I also have a 55 gallon tank. It is an all glass brand aquarium and made of tempered glass and has warning stickers not to drill.

We have ordered a CPR HOB Aquafuge 2 Large with protein skimmer. That adds appx 5 gallons and gets me the skimmers and the refugium I need. Running for about 300.00 shipped through one of Amazon partners.

They also have them cheaper without the skimmer.

There are some videos on YouTube of the Aquafuge 2.

SRC

Just make sure you are ready for the plumbing jobs required to install the overflow pipings to your Sump and the return pump. Normally 1 inch PVC pipe will do with ball valves on both intake and return pipes. You need to research a little bit on how to built or configure your sump. Having unions (pvc pipe connectors) on both side will be convenient to make changes on your configuration.

I added a sump when I switched to my 39 gallon. I drilled it myself and used the herbie method. I'm glad I did too. Its quite and is running great. Adds about 20 more gallons and a refugium that I keep chaeto in.

ForumRunner_20130305_155421.jpg

Thank you for all your advise! I will be looking to do this in the next month or so, I am sure I will have more questions along the way!!!!

Back
Top Bottom