Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-29-2004, 06:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

To Tang, or not to Tang?

I would like to add a Regal Blue Tang to me 75 gal reef tank. However I'm afraid of overloading my tank. My current livestock is:

Mated pair of Saddleback Clowns
1 Watchman Goby paired w/a Tiger Pistol Shrimp
1 Six Line Wrasse
1 Bicolor Blenny
2 Cleaner Shrimp
3 Peppermint Shrimp
6 Emerald Crabs
12 Scarlet Reef Hermits
36 Snails
Numerous Corals
120# of Live Rock

Thanks for the advice!

Old 06-29-2004, 08:10 PM   #2
steve-s

You would actually be fine. A 75 gal might end up being a tad small in a few years but for the time being you should be just fine. Just be sure to quarantine the tang before adding to the main tank.

You might get a little aggression from the clowns at the start but it should be fine.

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-29-2004, 10:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I say go for it. A regal will be fine in your tank for a while. However, take Steve-s' advice...QT the tang! This is VERY inportant with the Regal. Good luck! Lando
Old 06-29-2004, 11:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I thought the consensus was that cleanup crew adds minimal bioload, so you actually don't have anything that counts other than the wrasse, goby, and blenny. Even the bioload from those fish should be minimal (don't they feed off the sandbed?), so if this is true, then you practically have no existing bioload on your tank. www.liveaquaria.com recommends a 70 gallon tank, and you exceed that, so you're good to go.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:47 PM   #5
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSpirit
I thought the consensus was that cleanup crew adds minimal bioload
I wouldn't consider the waste of inverts in the stocking of a tank at all. If anything they help reduce wastes that are contributing to the bioload. The only thing you really need to be concerned with is the available tank space larger sessile (and rarely mobile) inverts may take up.

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-30-2004, 10:33 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Once again, Thanks for the excellent advice!!!!
Old 06-30-2004, 02:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Go for the regal tang.. I love mine, and i think you would be very pleased with the way it looks in your tank. Just make sure they're just a tad bigger than the clowns so they get minimal aggression but not too big from the rest as you would want them to get some fair share of food when feeding.

Good Luck.. I named mine DORY from the movie finding nemo.

EHEIM 2215 Canister Filter, AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer w preskim box, 36" PFO Lights with 2x 250W 10K MH and 2x96W T3 Actinics, JBJ Arctica Chiller 1/10 hp w/ Eheim 1250 Pump, Turbo-Twist 3x UV Sterilizer 9W, (1) Yellow Tang
(1)Potter's Angel, (2) Skunk Cleaner Shrimps,(1) Eibli's Angel, (26) Turbo Snails,(10) Nassarius Snails, (2) Sand sifting starfish
(1) Regal "hippo" Tang, (20) Hermit Crabs, (1) Coral Beauty, (1) Pygmy Angel, (1) Serpent Star, (1) Brittle Star, Pumping Xenia, Finger Leather, Yellow Polyps, Green Star Polyps, Colt Leather, Mushrooms, (2) Maxijet 600 PH and (2) Maxijet 1200 PH
Am I Overstocked Yet?
evenings is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com