to the 75gallon tank owners, what you got?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hollaatchun

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hello,

just wondering what people have in their 75? i am going to convert my to a saltwater soon, but just cant decide if i should just wait to purchase a 150 reef ready tank. just seeing what people have in their 75 and how big are the fishes. also pics will be great!

thanks

i've got soft coral, and lps under a 265watt PC fixture. I like it. I fit about 135lbs of LR in there too.

If you want a reef tank, I'd wait. A lot of us (well, me anyway) buy tanks and want a larger one soon. Real soon, like as soon as you have no more room for something you want.

All I'm saying is that if you think you "might", you probably do. :wink:

If your into fish get a 125 or bigger. I have a 125 and wish I knew then what I know now.. I would have picked up the 180.. If you have the cash bigger is better, if you don't then a 75 is a good starter tank.
We also need to know what kind of lighting you will be using... Do you plan a reef or fish only tank..

i have a 180 in the works , already have the tank, stand,filtration and lighting if i knew then what i knew now i would have waited and got the bigger tank in the first place

well i want some reef but some of my fish choices might not be reef safe. i was hoping on seeing/hearing some good ideas for a 75 tank so i would be happy with my tank when i get started. i dont want to start a 75 and then change to a 150 later on. IMO its just a waste of money and time. i think to any aqarium hobbist, they feel like they can always go bigger. even with 150, i might want change to a 210 someday. but i guess u guys are right, i should just wait for a 150 or bigger. if i am already questioning my 75, im sure i will question it even more when i set it up lol. so now its time to save up some money for a bigger tank and equipmment.

thanks everyone.

Cool. Love it when we can really help someone like you decide to do the "right thing". :p

Then again, you were kinda easy. :wink:

Anyway, stay in touch on your target acquisitions. Maybe we can help you plan out what you're saving for.

Check out my gallery for my previous 72g reef tank. Torn down now and setting up a 155g. Yeah, the 72 got old to me real fast.

Good luck!

i think it all really depends on how long you plan to live where you're at. I wanted to get a 210 instead of the 75 that i got but realized I'm probably only going to live where i'm at for 3-4 years at the most. If you're going to get a big tank like 180+...IMO, you need to have plans to stay where you're at for 5+ years. It was hard for me to justify building a reef and then having to tear it down just about the time it would be getting good.

Whatever you decide, best of luck with it.

I have a 75 gallon FOWLR but of course I'd prefer to go with a 125 or larger. But the 75 is more practical at the time.

Inhabitants: Two false percs, a royal gramma, a yellow tang, skunk cleaner shrimp, a bunch of assorted hermits, an emerald crab, nassarius and turbo snails, a sandsifting star, a BTA and a yellow watchman goby that I can't find (he might be dead). I'm probably going to add a flame angel because I'm not sure if a blue hippo tang would be such a good idea.

I may also add some soft corals in the future after I replace my current sump with one I'm building out of a 29 gallon tank that will have a fuge...

Since you're interested in pictures (i don't blame you), check out one of my galleries on picturetrail. It's really not organized or anything, but there's some nice pics of the stuff i have in the tank and things i've done to it.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=9217731&uid=4365968&members=1

Also, Lando has an awesome 75g tank. If you search for him, he's probably got some pics.
I think while the 75g isn't very big, it's really practicle and verstile. Size isn't everything. i've seen 30g setups that are amazingly beautiful and diverse.

I've also got some pics in my gallery.

I have a 72gal boe front that is set up as a reef with softies, lps, sps, anemones, clams, a few fish etc...check my gallery for more info. If going FOWLR I would also consider a larger tank. I am sure I could have a very nicelt stocked 220 or larger for the same money I have spent on my reef.

hi everyone,

thanks for everyone's advice and the pics were great. what camera did you have!? lol anyways, i guess my biggest problem is that i want everything. so many saltwater creatures look so amazing, makes me to want it all lol. i just want to make the best descision before i do anything. i figure since all the fish i like are prob going to be about 10 inches, i prob wont be happy with just 1 or 2 big fish. just too bad not all the fishes i want are compatable. why cant we all just get along!! lol. but thanks for everyone's input, i still got to get around to check out all the profile pics.

I have a 75 and would like a bigger tank but the location of my tank does not allow it. If I were to suggest something it would be to get a tank that is 24" deep. 18" just does not bode well for aquascaping. I saw a 4ft 120 that was 24" and it looked nice and deep. A 180 would be awesome if you had the room.

I keep a YT, a mandarin, a royal gramma, 2 damsels, a yellow watchman goby and a percula clown in my tank. I also have softies, LPS and SPS corals. I also have a 75 gal sump, a 20 gal refugium, a 20 gal and a 10 gal frag tank that is plumbed into the main system. Water volume is a good thing :)

Back
Top Bottom