Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-01-2004, 03:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

To those that say everyday checks and tests are too much...

So I am looking around the tank checking things out and I happen to glance at the thermometer. I normally keep my tank around 81F but the thermometer showed 83F. I then got to thinking we actually had a cold snap last night and the building is around 65F so there is no way for the tank temp to jump up temperature wise like this on its own with it being so cold outside. So I went to grab the thermostat on the Won Pro so I could see if I accidently hit the knob and bumped it up some without knowing it. Well as I began to back the temperature knob off, the light kept staying on indicating that the unit is still heating. Turning the knob to 80F...70F....60F... Still the light stays on. It looks like the darn heater is frozen in the "on" position and I can't get it to turn off. I checked to make sure the thermometer end is in the water which it is.

So I guess I need to get a hold of the manufacturer and see if there is a warranty for these things. I am just glad I caught it. Could have had boiled fish and inverts for dinner. 8O

Just thought I would share...

Old 04-01-2004, 04:35 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

t sucks, they are supposed to be very reliable heaters.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 05:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
I had the same thing happen with a Jalli titanium heater that I tried. It worked for about 4 months and then froze on. Needless to say I replaced it with a good 'ol Visitherm. I check the temp every morning and every evening for just that reason.
Old 04-01-2004, 06:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
I don't check my tanks everyday, I'm afraid something like this will happen

Glad you caught it in time though
Old 04-01-2004, 07:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
well i have a digital temp on my tank and it is right next to my computer and i am always on my comp so i always know my temp. like right now it says 80.4 f but as for water testing i really do not do it much. when i add some thing then i test like mad. but if i have not added some thing then i really dont unless there is some thing that looks wrong.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:50 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I called up the company that makes Won Heaters. Now I know why they are called Won. This is the guy's name (one of the brothers actually) that owns the company. He is asian and has a very thick accent. I couldn't hardly understand him on the phone as he was trying to explain how to fix the problem to me instead of trying to fix it himself by sending me a replacement.

I put in a glass heater in the meantime. I don't think I will buy another Won though...
Old 04-01-2004, 08:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

i have my heater and chiller on a medusa controler so that way if the controler on either one fails the medusa will switch it and avoid the problem... you should check in to it. lol never know.
Old 04-03-2004, 10:17 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

any one use a un interuptable power source on their tank, We alway have bad storms in Oklahoma and power outages are worring me , I work 65 miles from house and never know I think i might get one and hook pumps and heater to it.
Old 04-03-2004, 12:08 PM   #9
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Sorry if I am repeating myself, but just want to pass on some info that may save someone from the disaster that happened to me. My tank has been set up for 15 yrs now. I guess complacency set in and I had no problems with the tank at all. Corals flourishing, fish doing great..all was fine. I have a homemade water top off device, so I didn't really pay much attention to the tank.
But...about 3 yrs ago on a hot summer day I looked at my tank and saw not clear water, but milk. Evidently I had 2 major malfunctions. Don't know which happened 1st, but it doesn't really matter. My heater was stuck ON and the fans in my homemade light canopy both were turning around 1 rpm.The combination of hot weather, a heater being on and metal halides burning caused my water temp to hit about 95.
Needless to say, I lost virtually everying in my tank including my desire to keep up with any maintainance. I only cleaned up the mess and that was it. My tank ran for about 3 years with nothing being done to it because I lost my desire.
Well I finally got the urge to get it cleaned up again and now all is fine and I have that enthusiam back.
So, after all that rambling what I want to say is this. Take a few minutes each day. Check everything out. Be sure things are running like they should. You won't be sorry. I learned the hard way.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 06:15 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow, cccapt. That is one tragic story and one good testimony to others to make sure that daily checks are performed.

Tags
hose

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com