Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-28-2004, 11:48 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Toadstool leather looks sleepy :)

I have a green toadstool leather that is a little brown, but where it folds it is bright green, does anyone know why. I am useing 2x175 w MH 5,500 K (I think I need to go to 10,000 K), which are suplemented by 2x110w VHO actinics, it is placed in a medium flow area on the bottom of the tank.

Also are they supposed to dropover at night then stand up during the day?

Old 06-28-2004, 12:39 PM   #2
steve-s

Re: Toadstool leather looks sleepy :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRGuy
Also are they supposed to dropover at night then stand up during the day?
Very common especially as they get bigger. The color morph is pretty much the same as well. Many of the ones I have had will develope brighter color along any fold/crease in the flesh (usually yellow) and have a dingey crown over time. The 10 k's might help a bit but by the sounds of ot, you need to frag.

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-28-2004, 12:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

How do you frag them. Do you just trim around the edge? It's a pretty good size I bought it last week. It's about 6-7 inches around.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
yep mine is too big and at night cant hold it self up. it folds up for a few hours and then opens all the way up and lays down on the rock. but before the lights are on it look all normal again
Old 06-28-2004, 11:00 PM   #5
steve-s

It's not so much the diameter of the crown you need to be concerned about so much as the length of the stalk. It's what needs to support the weight as the coral grows. A longer stalk will have more trouble. Either way If it will improve coral health I would frag it. You'll end up with a healthier coral (done properly) and possibley some cash later on

Sacrophyton Propagation

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-28-2004, 11:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Who was the member who's signature was "official member of the steve-s fan club"?......That is why! Great link!! Thanks....
Old 06-28-2004, 11:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-s
It's not so much the diameter of the crown you need to be concerned about so much as the length of the stalk. It's what needs to support the weight as the coral grows. A longer stalk will have more trouble. Either way If it will improve coral health I would frag it. You'll end up with a healthier coral (done properly) and possibley some cash later on

Sacrophyton Propagation

Cheers
Steve

Thanks again for the information. So I can just cut the crown from stalk and then I can just glue the entire crown to a new piece of ruble. Or do I have to cut it in small pieces like they did. BTW the stalk is about 3" around can it still be cut
Old 06-28-2004, 11:46 PM   #8
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRGuy
So I can just cut the crown from stalk and then I can just glue the entire crown to a new piece of ruble. Or do I have to cut it in small pieces like they did.
You'd be suprised how resiliant these coral are providing water quality is up to snuff. You can seperate the entire crown from the stalk but I wouldn't glue it. Doubt it would work anyway. Either place it in a shallow plastic bowl in a low flow area covered with veil material and rubble in the bottom or veil it to an actual rock. I will not matter if you frag the crown in one piece or 6.

Quote:
BTW the stalk is about 3" around can it still be cut
Yup. Just use a new sharpe exacto blade. The ones I prefer are the disposable retractable ones you can get at the hobby store. Very cheap and provided they are rinsed and dried after use you should get a few uses from each one. Just be sure you cut smoothly through the stock and try not to rip the coral. It won't kill it if you do rip, it will just take longer to heal/attach. If your feeling brave, the stock can also be fragged. When I frag toadstools, I usually cut the whole thing away from the main rock leaving abou 1" and then frag the rest. You end up with more to sell. Your choice eiether way.

For now I would stick with what you feel most comfortable with

Cheers
Steve

Tags
eat, leather, sleep, toad, tool

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com