Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-08-2004, 02:50 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to JohnNLuc
Toadstool Mushroom

Hey guys I have this toadstool mushroom I drip acclimated him 3 days ago for about 2 hours than put him in the tank. Within an hour the polyps were out and fully extended and he was looking good He stayed this way for another 2 days until today I didnt see his polyps out at all hes bent over and now im seeing almost like white/yellow blothces on his crown i guess you would call it. All my other corals are fine and water parameters are fine can you suggest what to do?

JohnNLuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 03:11 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok I Have read a little and have come up with 2 things that could be happening one it could be shedding its outer layer of skin or two its going through tissue necrosis could someone please explain how to tell the difference the thing is not falling apart but the crown of it (where the polyps are) do not have that dark pink look anymore. the only way i can describe it is it looks like theres lighter white lines all over it as if the darker tissue is being lost

Old 12-08-2004, 09:33 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

How's he situated in the water flow scheme? Wondering whether he needs less or more.

Of course I don't have one and couldn't advise you which they'd need, but I'm thinking that could be an issue with yours.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 01:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

He is situated in a moderate flow of water
Old 12-08-2004, 10:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to ram6519
My Toadstool did the same thing and stayed bare on top for right at a week then the top layer of slime blew off. The head filled out and looked pretty good. Then it did it again 2 days later and now it looks great. My wife say's it looks better now than when it was at the LFS.
Hope this helps.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:02 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

thanks for the advice on the calcium on my other post johnNLuc. now i can return the favor a little bit.
sounds like i bought my toadstool about the same time as you. the rest of my story is exactly the same also. 2 hours drip, it looked great for a couple days and then closed. yesterday it opened back up. i lightly blasted it with a turkey baster. a bunch of shedding came off and today it is opened up better than ever. long polyp extensions!
yours may just be adjusting to its new home. BTW, i also gave it a little more flow than before. it seems to like it the slightly higher flow

hope this helps a little
steve r
Old 12-10-2004, 12:11 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Steve I want to thank you. I have ruled out tissue necrosis and am starting to see it shedding little by little it's still closed but I feel better knowing its not dieing Tomorrow I will gently blast it with the baster. Thanks a lot
Old 12-10-2004, 01:43 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

One more question guys. I woke up today and he's open but his polyps are not and he still is letting off stringy musuc looking stuff from his crown. The question is this is almost the fourth day his polyps have not been out, should I be worried he will starve to death if they dont come out soon? TIA
Old 12-10-2004, 01:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

my opinion would be he progressing along just fine. on the first day of opening back up he had polyps later that day after i blasted off the sheddings with a turkey baster.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:56 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just used the turkey baster I did not see much fly off of him but his polyps are not out and i see one stingy thing coming off of him on top so I guess i will just sweat i out and wait for him to come around.

Tags
mushroom, toad, tool

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com