Toadstool Mushroom Coral Dying. Think I know why!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChiTownRomeo

Aquarium Advice Freak
I posted a few days ago about my toadstool leather coral closing up and developing these white spots. I also thought it was getting ready for a shed. Here is the old link.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f11/help-with-toadstool-mushroom-coral-247866.html

I recently added some Api Phos Zorb to get rid of some diatoms on my sand. Is it true that Phos Zorb is aluminum based and my leather coral is dying from aluminum poisoning? What GFO should I be using? Is the Phos Zorb really killing my leather coral?

I run phos guard on my tank and my softies seem fine. I'm not sure if it is the same thing though.

Mine did the same. I just did pwc and he came back. Now it's the biggest thing in the tank. I have pics in my profile

I personally run the phos-zorb and have never had any problems with my softies.

Really? Weird cause it works great but it's killing my toadstool. I also have read threads saying Phosguard and phoszorb are Aluminium based resins and will poison softies.

I know my leathers seem to "shed" longer than most people say they should. Mine close up and get grey and white for a week or so every few weeks but when it come back to normal it's a lot larger.

What tends to hurt things is drastic changes...

Did you just add the Phos Zorb at full dose? and it stripped it all from the system?

The best thing is to start slowly - adding half the prescribed dose, or less, and then slowly increasing.

Back
Top Bottom