Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Toadstool not polyping

So i got a toadstool about two weeks ago and when i first got it it got waxy, shed over night and then opened up. Then it stopped opening up and it looked like it was getting bleached so i moved it down. It opened up for a day or two after i moved it. now it hasn't opened in 5 days. It has a waxy coating on it and i know that it does that when its about to shed but its had that waxy look for 5 days. I don't think it is dying because it its not melting, it has gotten shorter but that base has gotten thicker. It also does react to light, like sometimes its tilted but when i turn the light on it stands up straight. It also sometimes like folds together and then when it turned the light on in a lil it does fold out. Sometimes the "sockets" (where the polyps come out) do look a bit diff from day to day like sometimes the "sockets" look more pronounced and defined and other times they look smooth. I am also at the tail end of an algae bloom but idk if that affects anythingI am wondering if you guys have and suggestions.

I will be testing my water in a couple of min too
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3198201909.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	208003  

Old 11-17-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

My toadstool's shedding period has been as long as two weeks before. I wouldn't worry just yet. Especially because you've moved it a few times. What did your parameters come out as?

Old 11-17-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ph 8.3 ( i put a buffer in to keep it there)
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 30
Salinity 1.023 i usually keep it at 24 but to three is fine
I dont have a phosphate test but i will be getting my water tested for phosphates and be getting a tester today. I dont think theres a problem with phosphates because its a pretty new tank got it this past summer. I will also be getting a phosphate reactor sometime this winter wjen i get enough money from shoveling peoples snow im 14 haha.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Wow! I meant nitrite 0 and nitrate 30
Old 11-17-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

What is your alkalinity at? I notice that my soft corals stop coming out to play when the alk is in short supply.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

30 nitrates is pretty high, that could be your issue. But yeah check alkalinity too
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I just did a water change after i tested earlier i will check them shortly. Dumb question but what is alkalinity, i though it was ph?
Old 11-17-2013, 02:05 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

If it helps the toadstool is my only coral, i also have royal nature which is good salt and it say that it mixes to make perfect levels of alkalinity trace elements and all that stuff. My last water change was last week so i doubt that the alkalinity is low if I'm not mistaken
Old 11-17-2013, 02:13 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Alkalinity is a measure of bicarbonate in the water. While it's related to pH levels it's a different measure. While it might not be that it's best to rule out any possible issues and that's usually the first thing to check when having issues with soft corals not opening up.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:20 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Okay thanks, i will look into that more. Any other ideas?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com