Toadstool problems???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jd4g

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Last night I noticed something unusual going on with my toadstool leather coral. Initially the polyps were retracted, the mouth was slightly open, and I could look into the mouth and see the liverock behind it. There must be a hole in the back side of the toadstool's column. I looked thru the side glass to inspect the back of the toadstool, but couldn't see a hole. However, I did notice the column was "creased" inward vertically its full length. A few minutes later the polyps were fully extended as they normally are.

My first thought was that the crease in the toadstool's column was the beginning of the toadstool dividing into two. But, I couldn't find anything online indicating this was how the toadstool reproduced.

I've had the toadstool about six months and it has always appeared beautiful and healthy. Also in the tank are two maroon clowns, three chromis, and a few other coral as indicated in my signature below. No new additions or rearrangements in the last three months. Water parameters have been good (last checked a few days ago).

Any comments or suggestions anyone has would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• toadstool01_716.jpg
    toadstool01_716.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 33
My toadstool's once large have several wrinkles or folds until they open fully after the lights have been on for a period of time. They only way mine reproduced was by dropping small toadstools of the side of the main coral. not sure it that helps?

They also don't have a mouth. They have folds when they grow. It looks fine and is probably just growing. Every once in a while the will close up for a day or 2 and shed and even grow.

Back
Top Bottom