Tomato Clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettWalker

Aquarium Advice Activist
My only fish (Tomato Clown) in my 10g Nano tank has a problem. I can see light brown irregular marks on the white stripe. This appears on both sides of fish. Otherwise, it seems OK. I no longer have a quarintine tank.
Should I medicate with anything? Is this probably Lateral Head Disease? :cry:
Thanks for advice.
Bett

Bette, I'd need to see a pic of the clown that shows the stripes well, but it sounds like a discoloration from missing scales or an abrasion...

reefrunner69 said:
Bette, I'd need to see a pic of the clown that shows the stripes well, but it sounds like a discoloration from missing scales or an abrasion...

I haven't been able to get a picture (even before this showed up). He seems to be camera shy. :cry: I thought of an injury, but since it is on both sides, maybe not. However, after I put the Coral Bandid Shrimp in with him, they have been at each other a little over the space the Clown had to start with. Would it be possible for a shrimp to do the Clown damage? Pretty good size shrimp. (remember the pic with him looking over my Feather Duster?) If I take the shrimp out, can I place him in the 55g tank with another Coral Bandid Shrimp or will they fight?
Bett

Jacob Morgan said:
Is it rubbing on anything in the tank?

Jacob

Nope, not rubbing on anything. Just kind of hanging out behind the LR. He was so happy before I decided he needed company and added the darn shrimp.
Bett

BettWalker said:
However, after I put the Coral Bandid Shrimp in with him, they have been at each other a little over the space the Clown had to start with. Would it be possible for a shrimp to do the Clown damage?

Very possible and quite likely. Having the injury on both sides simply shows the shrimp used both claws. To be sure I would have to see it, but I wouldn't be overly worried. Keep an eye out for inflamation, and see how it does.

Bett,

I'm sorry to read about your Tomato. I know you have to be a little discouraged.

Were it my choice... I would remove the shrimp. At least you would be able to see if the Clown acted as he did prior to the change.

I will, again, offer my two cents. The once Coral Banded I purchased ended up being taken out of my tank. He ws too aggressive for my taste, even if the aggression was exhibited more as self defense.

Coral Banded shrimp are also useful as cleaner shrimp to some fish, I have read.

Keep us posted, please, Bett.

Sue

:cry: My Tomato Clown in my 10g Nano tank died last night. The only thing in the tank at this time is my one Coral Bandid Shrimp & five Turbo Snails. I took the Hermit Crabs out...I didn't like them.

Question :?:
Do I continue to put a little of the same food I would feed fish in for these guys & if not, what do I feed?

Does anyone have any suggestions for a small fish that would stand up to this aggresive shrimp or should I give the tank to the shrimp?

BTW, the shrimp also shed his outer shell last night.

Can you tell us more about the tank? Although a CB is fully capable of catching and eating a fish it's not that common, especially eating a Damsel.

I would continue to feed the CB. If you have a live sand bed make sure to overfeed the CB so the critters don't starve.

Bang Guy said:
Can you tell us more about the tank? Although a CB is fully capable of catching and eating a fish it's not that common, especially eating a Damsel.

I would continue to feed the CB. If you have a live sand bed make sure to overfeed the CB so the critters don't starve.

I have the type of live sand bed that came in a plastic container. Placed 12# in the 10g tank. Have 10# LR. The tank has only been setup for one month today.

The Clown could have had another problem. Would you try another fish? Only intend to put one or two small ones. I could take the shrimp out and place in the 55g tank where there is another CB. Will they fight? I really like them and don't want to see them destroy each other.

Thanks.

I could take the shrimp out and place in the 55g tank where there is another CB. Will they fight? I really like them and don't want to see them destroy each other.

In a 55 gal enviroment they would most likely fight to the death. Usually only a mated pair will get along. If you had a 6' tank it might work they need thier own territory. HTH

In a 55 gal enviroment they would most likely fight to the death. Usually only a mated pair will get along. If you had a 6' tank it might work they need thier own territory. HTH[/quote said:
I guess the CB Shrimp now has his own tank. :D I really don't mind. Primarily wanted to try some corals and hopefully keep my Anenome happy. Hope you aren't going to tell me the CB will eat or damage my corals I'm going to try to keep.
Bett

Back
Top Bottom