Tomato clown acting strange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonsRus

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, so I got my first two fish on Sat. A tomato clown about 1 1/2 inches and a scooter blenny about 2 1/2 inches long. I've had the 46g tank running with Live rock and live sand since the end of november. First week of january I put more (fully cured live rock in, and about a week later I put in a mess of crabs and snails. LFS says my water tests perfect. So here's the thing: In the day the clown is very active and eats the food (frozen) that I put in. The lights go out, and he's up at the top hangin' out. He's not gasping, though. Am I just being paranoid? He still looks healthy. (Oh, and I did not QT him, the dealer had him for about 4 weeks.)

Thanks for your responses.
-Kristin

The lights go out, and he's up at the top hangin' out. He's not gasping, though.
many clowns do that, including mine. Its how they sleep. :wink:
No worries.
BTW, welcome to the best fish site on the net!! :D :D :D

That is not unusual for a tomato clown. Although the scooter blenny you may want to have held off on. I am told they are very tough to keep going in un-seasoned tanks since they need lots of various algaes to graze and many small crustations to eat.

That said I have one in my 35 gallon tank that is only several months old and he does well. So who knows..................

Scooter blennies aren't nearly as demanding as their related species of dragonettes like the Psychodelic Goby and the Mandarin Goby. The latter two are more likely to refuse any kind of prepared foods that are offered and rely on the natural growth of food in the system.

Offer brine shrimp and cyclopseze for the scooter. The clown will like it too.

Back
Top Bottom