Tonga Base Rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wingersfan14191

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am starting a SW fish tank and was looking at the types of rock that were available and i came across Tonga Rock. I find this rock awesome and did some research on it to find that they didn't ship it anymore..But I was wondering if there was such thing as Tonga base rock and if so could i purchase it?
Thanks

You may get lucky looking for some for sale on craigslist or your lfs. Since they outlawed collection of tonga rock it's tough to find people willing to part with it for a reasonable cost.

O ok well thank you..Do you know of any rock that is similar i really want a rock that will allow fish to swim through kinda like an arch way type thing..I found some Fiji Branch Rock but i guess thats hard to find as well..

Most people will take whatever rock type they can get and drill the rock and either zip tie it, put acrylic rods in it or whatever way they can tie the rocks together to make their arches and caves. You can also make your own rock in any form you want.

you can drill the rock? I have to check that out..That sounds awesome though. I did hear about making your own rock. However i heard it takes forever to cure.. is that true?

You have to change the water and watch the ph so yes it's not overnight. About ~2 months.
Oh, you can drill the rock with a masonary bit. LR is made up of calcium and is pretty soft.

It might be more expensive but check out your LFS. You can actually get the sizes and shape that you want and be able to see what it looks like.

Thank you everyone..I have actually came across that south sea lace rock several times..there seems to be one common picture for all of them..Is there any way i could tell the company want i want..like for example rock with bigger holes or flatter types on that lace rock?..Or do i just accept what they give me?..

Yeap GM, that's the best way to get rock exactly the way you want it.

Thank you everyone..I have actually came across that south sea lace rock several times..there seems to be one common picture for all of them..Is there any way i could tell the company want i want..like for example rock with bigger holes or flatter types on that lace rock?..Or do i just accept what they give me?..

Here is a picture of what I got in my first box of 7-seas lace rock. I purchased a couple more boxes after. Go to the first page of this: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f11/180-gallon-upgrade-starts-now-109263.html

Back
Top Bottom