Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-31-2005, 06:57 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
Yes that was me. I didn't know at the time that my crab would kill everything in the tank. I caught him, however, I was not able to catch him alive. Looks like you are on your way to solving your problem. You have it seperated at least. I too tried to flush my crab out with fresh water, all it did was kill my mushrooms.

Don't take life too seriously, No one gets out alive.
Scatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 07:13 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to badfish
the buddy that had the mantis got his LR from his LFS, the mantis beleive it or not took out a bicolor angel, and a yellow tang before he was caught, yes, a YELLOW TANG 8O. He woke up to the yelllow tang being devoured by the Mantis. Im told that Mantis from LR.com are less of a problem then others from other countries. I have heard popping in my tank for the past month with no deaths, it could be a pistol, but can also be a mantis.

50 Gallon Oceanic: 2 maxijet 1200's, 2 150 watt visitherm heaters, BakPak II Skimmer with PS & BT, Coralife Lunar 2X65 watt Power Compacts

Filtration: 50lbs LR.com, 60lbs sand

Swimmers: 2 O. Clowns, Yellow Watchman, Firefish, Yellow Tang, Dottyback.

Clean-Up: Several snail & hermits, Skunk Cleaner, 2 Peps.

Corals: 2 zoo colonies, yellow polyps, star polyps
badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 07:41 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via AIM to Kam
I had a heater melt down and had to put the rock and mantis back in the main tank. It appears that the thermostat on my extra heater is broken as the water just kept getting warmer and warmer.

I have reset the trap.

I am off to the lfs to buy a quarantine tank big enough to hold the rock and a new heater. If I catch the mantis, I will keep it alive.
55 Gal FOWLR
105 lbs Live rock from LR.com
2 Yellow Tail Damsels
2 Green Chromis
1 Emerald Crab
3 Peppermint Shrimp
4 Scarlet Hermit Crabs
1 Blue Knuckle Hermit Crab
1 Large Turbo Snail
Hitchhickers: 3 Purple sea urchins, lots of rock crabs, pistol shrimp, brittle stars, snails, worms, etc.
and aiptasia, aiptasia, aiptasia (it was free $$)
Kam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 09:02 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via MSN to gooyferret Send a message via Yahoo to gooyferret
Who says it's unwanted??

I want it, just not in this tank. I have a nice little 10 gal that it would be happy in.
Yes thats true but most people in the hobby dont want them.... I know i dont! I have heard alot of people talking about unwanted guests on LR that they purchased from LR.com So i was just curious why so many people keep buying it?
" 'TAP TAP TAP'...Here fishy fishy fishy"
gooyferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 09:07 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist
I assume because its pretty cheap, safe for the enviorment, and it has been proven time and time again as a costomer friendly company.

That would be my view on it. I havent purchased from them yet, but I will be doing so soon.
maxamillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 12:05 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak
Because it's beautiful corralline covered rock at a great price filled with algae eating snails, hermits, stars, crabs, urchins, anemones, corals etc., not just mantis shrimp.

Tank: 55 Gallon
The equipment: Coralife 4x65w (2x10k; 2xActinic), Emperor 400, 2 PH
The Fish: black maroon clown, neon goby, yellow watchman goby, 3 blue-green chromis, royal gramma, and a yellow clown goby.
The Coral: zoos, kenya trees, shrooms, leathers, hammer, and star polyps
The Inverts: LT anemone, pistol shrimp, urchins, etc.
The Janitors: nassarius snails, turbos, hermits, several brittle and serpent stars
The Rock: 68# of Keys-12# Base Rock; from LR.com
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com