Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-16-2011, 12:02 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good luck Mitch! I'm rooting for the copper to kick that aptasia @#$@$@#$SF@#$@!!!!

Old 11-16-2011, 02:29 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighabeeb

Thanks - its getting there. I happen to love the dude at my LFS - he's helping me out once the aiptasia is back under control by giving me a couple of frags from his well aged display tank to get some coralline/bacteria flow really rocking again.

C'mon coppa, do your thing
Yea looking at my tank now is pretty depressing. Not even close to as much life as there used to be before the storm. You don't realize how many little critters are in your tank until they're all floating around dead. Lol my first thought when the power came back and I was scooping out net full after net full of pods was, "dang, I could've had a mandarin" haha. Mine too is slowly coming back though. My fish are back in and I'm gonna be adding some corals this weekend. Just sucks basically starting all over.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:31 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallinCrew10 View Post
Yea looking at my tank now is pretty depressing. Not even close to as much life as there used to be before the storm. You don't realize how many little critters are in your tank until they're all floating around dead. Lol my first thought when the power came back and I was scooping out net full after net full of pods was, "dang, I could've had a mandarin" haha. Mine too is slowly coming back though. My fish are back in and I'm gonna be adding some corals this weekend. Just sucks basically starting all over.
I was actually on the verge of breaking the whole **** thing down - while I didn't have corals before and ony a few fish, just seeing the dead fish and the lack of coralline and realizing that a lot of this stuff is going to be starting from scratch again....well....I was ready to bust it up and just run a big ol' cichlid tank again.

The one advantage to it is that I can have the copper banded in there taking out the aiptasia without worrying about him having to compete for food.
caulastrea, green star polyps, palythoa, zoas
bighabeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:49 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I inherited my 125 about a year ago. It had about 150 aiptasia in it and I got 3 peppermint shrimp. No more aiptasia, and they are easy to keep fed.
boardsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:50 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardsurfer View Post
I inherited my 125 about a year ago. It had about 150 aiptasia in it and I got 3 peppermint shrimp. No more aiptasia, and they are easy to keep fed.
Pepps seem to be very hit or miss from everything I've read. I actually put 3 into my tank and they've shown no inclination to go anywhere near the aiptasia. They just do their thing, hanging upside down under the live rock and rocking back and forth.

I've even tried dropping the little things next to the aiptasia. They look at it, then trot back under the rock and resume dancing.

By far the strangest little buggers I've ever seen :p
Old 11-16-2011, 09:58 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sorry to hear that, I think I got lucky with mine...
boardsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:41 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

As far as the pepps, you want the ones from the atlantic, it seems the larger pepps go after them a little better, they don't eat the larger aptasia so I hit those with aptasia-x. Even if all these criteria are met, some just don't go for it.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:39 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Overall update: so far CBB is doing ok. He's picked at a bit of aiptasia (I can see that white stringy crap they leave behind when they've been housed), and seems to be making friends with my scarlet shrimp (scarlet was cleaning him off a little earlier).

Pepps are still around and doing their dance, but still won't touch the **** aiptasia!

Looks like I may have a little mini cycle going as I recover from all the death and destruction. Nitrates are up just a hair to 5ppm. Nitrites still at 0 for now, so that's a good thing. Phosphates, 0, calcium and kh just a hair lower then I like to keep them - but since I haven't been adding any kind of suplements that's also not shocking.

Tags
aiptasia, night

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com