Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-15-2008, 07:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Too Cold?

Well I have been debating on whether or not I should go ahead and a clean up crew too my tank. I have wanted to do if for sometime but havent had my tank to the point where I wanted it before adding all those snails and crabs (was afraid of smashing them when adding new rock) anways now that I am ready it has gotten mighty cold outside. ( they are calling for a high of 20 degrees saturday) I live in the midwest, just outside of cincy ohio - If you were me would you feel comfortable having 100$ worth of inverts shipped to you while it was this cold ? I am thinking I prob should wait but thought I would ask

JoshsReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:38 PM   #2
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I dont ever order livestock in the winter. The chances are not good that they will be alive. Heard too many horror stories from others. They use heat packs but when you get that cold they dont help that much.

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Premium Aquatics is pretty darn close to you. Don't know if they're doing livestock anymore. Might be worth giving them a call and seeing if they can't ship and hold at the local UPS/FedEx distribution center for you to pick up. At least that way it doesn't spend all day riding around in a cold truck. I know DrFosterSmith gives you that option... to deliver to a FedEx Service Center.
Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 11:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
The past month I have ordered three times and it has been cold. No problems encountered. As long as you are dealing with a reputable place they can ship in the cold. But why not just buy local?
Lepomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 11:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
Prices mostly - when you can buy an astrea snail for a buck as compared to 3 at the LFS it just not seem logical to buy at the lfs. Etropicals has resonable prices and they will ship for free during the week and for around 20 dollars on saturday. I will prob wait for a warmer weekend, but buying my cleenup crew online will save my pocketbook.
JoshsReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 03:55 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular
i would give it a shot... inverts like snails usually ship pretty well even in the cold. i just ordered from marinedepot.com (a cleaning pack) and everything came in well
amkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:21 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I agree with Mike, I do not like to get anything shipped in cold weather. I had a problem with marinedepotlive, but I only ordered from there once. You can look Here maybe there is a LFS that you might have missed.
I do agree $3 for a snail is a bit much. Does your LFS offer discounts on quantity?
Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:40 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

I agree with both Mike and Scott. I have ordered in the winter in the past and it's a toss up. The heat packs are rarely effective. The inside box temperature will be in the low 60's if you are lucky.

I have had snail survive the cold shipping. They may have looked DOA but came back to life after several hours.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:06 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am hoping F&S is able to ship in the cold. I am in Utah, and it is pretty **** cold now 20 dg F day and 8 dg F night.
I need to order a cleaning crew pretty soon.
I like the idea of waiting for a warm weekend and pulling the trigger.
good11s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 12:45 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
WOW, if your LFS wants $3 for an astrea how much is everything else?

It looks like there are 6 LFSs in the Louisville area. I'm guessing you are close to there being in North KY and near Cincinati. I would do some more checking around the link that Scott gave you is a great thing to add to your favorites list!

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com