Too Hot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

warvillian

Aquarium Advice Activist
I woke up this morning and my fluval digital heater showed a temp of 74 degrees. Acting fast i bought a digital thermometer another fluval non digital heater from petsmart until I can get another digital heater. However, I manually set the temp to 78 at around 1:00pm and came home from work at 11:00pm and my tempature was 82. I lost a sailfin blenny and I am unable to find my psuedochromis. All I have left is my BTA and Maroon clown. How do I get the temperature down. I just started the process of putting my tank water in a glass and into the freezer and then dumping back into the tank. I currently have it down to 79.5

Agreed I would make sure water parameters are all good also. 82 for one afternoon doesn't sound like enough to kill your sailfin. I could be wrong because I know tangs are sensitive fish but I would check parameters just to be safe

Unfortunately you will probably not find out exactly why you lost your tang. But if your tank is too hot you may want to look into a chiller especially in the summer when our house may be warmer.

My tank is usually 80 degrees. I doubt it was the water temp that did him in. I would blame it on the move and or water parameters.

Still sucks either way. I was just at lfs this afternoon looking at a sailfin. I want one now. Lol

82 degrees didn't kill your fish i dont think, i have had temp at 88 and lost nothing. I added a clip on fan blowing across my sump and my temp during the summer gets between 80-82

Did you notice a difference with the fan? I was looking at one and was affraid of dust blowing in the tank.

yep stays around 80-82 degrees down from 88. Got it at Wal-Mart for like $9. I do clean the fan when I do my water changes

I am definitley going to have to do that this summer.

Another solution that,while pricey, is a win win for you and your tank. An air conditioning unit. That's what I plan for this summer. Kinda help me help them lol and its much cheaper than a chiller

in my house during the summer when i had my aquariums i would just lower the temp on the heater to compensate

I have central air so it doesn't cool the tank that great. And a chiller is a bit much. I can probably find a way to divert my air up there but it wont look pretty. Lol

Yea you don't really need a chiller unless you live in the desert and its well over 100 degrees 9 months out of the year lol. Even then, I've seen videos on making them out of those mini refrigerators. Saving you from the $700 price tag of a chiller. And ronk, do what you gotta do lol

Back
Top Bottom