Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-26-2006, 01:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Too many bubbles from skimmer...

I have a "Proclear Aquatic Motorized 75" skimmer in my sump/refuge. The skimmer sits in the sump side (with the return pump), and returns water with bubbles back into the refuge side.

My problem is, too many of the bubbles make their way through the bubble trap weir and sponge (that separates the refuge from the sump), and get pumped bank into the display tank.

Anyone come up with an effective (homemade) bubble trap design?
I'm trying to avoid the obvious solution of buying something fancy and expensive that will easily fix the problem once and for all. I'd much rather spend hours agonizing over a complex and quirky retrofit to squeeze into my existing sump/refuge.

Thanks in advance...

Old 09-26-2006, 02:08 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Is there a sponge prefilter on your return pump before it returns to the display?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 02:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

A strategically placed tupperware lid works wonders for me. (Between the weir and the return pump, kinda like an unsecured baffle.)
Old 09-26-2006, 05:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I don't have room for a sponge prefilter for my return pump. Its a rio 1700, squeezed in a corner next to the skimmer, facing down to get the inlet as low as possible. I do have room to wedge in a bit more sponge there, and it does help some...

Ideally, I'd like to get rid of all sponges in the return process, so when pods start to flourish in the refuge, they can get drawn back up to the display through the return pump. I don't think that will work with the sponges.

I will mess around with the tupperware lid idea... Why not? I've tried weirder things...

Please keep the ideas coming. Thanks again.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Good luck!
Old 09-26-2006, 07:08 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I don't think that will work with the sponges.
Yeah. I'd end up cleaning the sponge as a part of regular maintenance and dumping the pods into the tank that were in it. Heck, once you get enuf living in the main in all those nooks and crannies of the rock, maybe it wouldn't be as critical to get them to flow thru your return.

I'd clean the sponge/filter in a bucket. Empty the bucket into a net and drop the ccritters in the main. Those that don't get eaten when they first drop make a bee-line to the rock.

Still wonderin' though if pods don't get killed anyway going thru the pump. I'm sure I don't know enuf about pump construction, but I'd wonder if they didn't get squished coming thru it.

If they do, then I'd try more sponge (to be cleaned every 2 weeks) where you almost have enuf now.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 01:17 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

As long as we are not talking about a needle wheel pump, a vast majority of pods will make it through.

Tags
bubble, bubbles, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com