Too many choices! Need help with RO/DI unit selection.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shannono

Aquarium Advice Regular
OK, I've been doing some searching on this site regarding RO/DI units. I know I want to purchase one, but there appears to be quite a few options available. I have a 90-gallon tank being delivered today (yee haw!), and I want to provide my own water, rather than purchasing from the LFS. Here are my questions:

1. How many GPD do you think I need to support my 90 gallon tank?

2. I will be connecting this unit to a garden hose, NOT under my sink. I assume I need a garden hose adapter. I don't need to be concerned about sewer backup with this kind of setup, do I?

3. Should I go for clear filter housings? I think there are also colored ones available.

4. Do I need a permeate pump?

5. Should I get a pressurized storage tank or skip that and store the water in large buckets?

6. Should I buy a unit with a pressure gauge or purchase one separately?

7. Should I buy a unit with a TDS meter or purchase one separately?

8. Should I buy a 4, 5, or 6 stage unit?

9. Any recommended brands?

10. Should I purchase off of eBay or bite the bullet and pay full price at one of the online sites?

That's all my questions for now. I'd appreciate any and all help. :D I'm really excited about starting this new hobby, and want to avoid any mistakes (and yes, I know I'll make some) if at all possible. 8)

Typhoon III

Upon further research, I see that quite a few people recommend the Typhoon III RO/DI unit. I'm thinking about purchasing the 70GPD model with some extra filters and a garden hose adapter from airwaterice.com.

What do you all think? :wink:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20756&item=4374787415&rd=1

That's the one i have and i also have a 90 gallon tank. The only draw back is if you want your TDS youll have to buy it seperatly, but youll still save a lot more then buying the one you mentioned from there web site. They sell the hose hookups as well (8 bucks). I run mine in my laundryroom off the cold water for the washing wachine (put a 3-way in line ) so i use the hose adapter as well.

HTH

edit: $ 8 turned into a smiley face....opps

I have that same FilterDirect from eBay model that I use for my 120. I always keep 30g of water sitting around so I always have enough to do a water change and then some and I know that in a day's time I could make enough to change over my entire tank should the need arise. I like that. Necessary? Nah, but it sure is nice.

Add'l question: Can I pick up a garden hose Y connector with valves from Home Depot? I'd like to be able to use my hose without having to remove the garden hose adapter, if you understand what I am getting at.

Bought a Barracuda on Ebay. Works wonderfully, saved $$$. PPM of Disolved Solids: less than .006 to .007 with DI cartridge.

Shannono said:
Can I pick up a garden hose Y connector with valves from Home Depot? I'd like to be able to use my hose without having to remove the garden hose adapter

This is what I did. I split it off the cold water pipes of my washer.

I have the same filterdirect one off of ebay. Works great. It keeps popping the tubing off frequently and leaking everywhere, but I'm sure it's user error.

Back
Top Bottom