Too Many drain elbows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearfan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know my problem in my drain line is too many elbows. Can't be helped, it's on the other side of the house and upstairs.

It's trapping a lot of air and forcing it down, so I built an air relief at the drain end shown HERE but I would like to work further to make it better.

The overflow upstairs is an AGA overflow, but basically it seems to be filling to the top of the U and then draining like a toilet to the holes in the neck.

Any suggestions?

The picture has a long horizontal section of pvc and 2 90 elbows. Switch the 90 s for some 45 s . That may eliminate the build up of air in the pvc.

darb2 said:
The picture has a long horizontal section of pvc and 2 90 elbows. Switch the 90 s for some 45 s . That may eliminate the build up of air in the pvc.

That is just the end section. The whole run is about 45' and comes from across the house and down. There are a lot more elbows that can't be made into 45s.

Wonder if putting in some drain traps like they do on sinks and such would help? I konw the purpose of the traps in the sinks and such is for sewer gases but it might help?

On your overflow do you have a standpipe config or is it just an open bulkhead in the bottom of the overflow? A standpipe might let less air into the system. A breather tube could also be lowered down the drain to provide a method of air trying to come up the pipeing a source of exit.

plumbing drains usually have an air vent near the top of the piping run. An piece of pipe open to the air teed off the drain. Of course the open pipe has to end above the level of the water. It allows the air to escape before getting very far down the piping run.
You could tee off right under the tank or even on top of the stand pipe in the tank (would only have to be an inch or two above the water line.)

fishfreek said:
Wonder if putting in some drain traps like they do on sinks and such would help? I konw the purpose of the traps in the sinks and such is for sewer gases but it might help?

On your overflow do you have a standpipe config or is it just an open bulkhead in the bottom of the overflow? A standpipe might let less air into the system. A breather tube could also be lowered down the drain to provide a method of air trying to come up the pipeing a source of exit.

I have standpipes. I might run a line down, and I already have P-Traps.

Overstocker said:
plumbing drains usually have an air vent near the top of the piping run. An piece of pipe open to the air teed off the drain. Of course the open pipe has to end above the level of the water. It allows the air to escape before getting very far down the piping run.
You could tee off right under the tank or even on top of the stand pipe in the tank (would only have to be an inch or two above the water line.)

I would be worried about the pressure allowing water to spurt. I'm moving at capacity. I already have a small hole in the stand pipe, but I think there are too many elbows over a 45' run.

if the water was moving that quickly then wouldnt it be like a venturi or a chem lab vacuum adapter for a sink and suck the water and air to your sump?

Probably, I'm thinking about cutting a piece of plexi to fit on the inside rails of my sump just above the water level and putting the return to empty onto it so the large air pockets don't empty into the tank.

Back
Top Bottom