Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-29-2004, 10:19 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Too Many drain elbows

I know my problem in my drain line is too many elbows. Can't be helped, it's on the other side of the house and upstairs.

It's trapping a lot of air and forcing it down, so I built an air relief at the drain end shown HERE but I would like to work further to make it better.

The overflow upstairs is an AGA overflow, but basically it seems to be filling to the top of the U and then draining like a toilet to the holes in the neck.

Any suggestions?

Old 06-30-2004, 06:04 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The picture has a long horizontal section of pvc and 2 90 elbows. Switch the 90 s for some 45 s . That may eliminate the build up of air in the pvc.

Old 06-30-2004, 07:38 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by darb2
The picture has a long horizontal section of pvc and 2 90 elbows. Switch the 90 s for some 45 s . That may eliminate the build up of air in the pvc.
That is just the end section. The whole run is about 45' and comes from across the house and down. There are a lot more elbows that can't be made into 45s.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:21 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Wonder if putting in some drain traps like they do on sinks and such would help? I konw the purpose of the traps in the sinks and such is for sewer gases but it might help?

On your overflow do you have a standpipe config or is it just an open bulkhead in the bottom of the overflow? A standpipe might let less air into the system. A breather tube could also be lowered down the drain to provide a method of air trying to come up the pipeing a source of exit.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 10:30 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Replace the entire run with flex pipe. Smooooth. 8)
Old 06-30-2004, 11:12 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

plumbing drains usually have an air vent near the top of the piping run. An piece of pipe open to the air teed off the drain. Of course the open pipe has to end above the level of the water. It allows the air to escape before getting very far down the piping run.
You could tee off right under the tank or even on top of the stand pipe in the tank (would only have to be an inch or two above the water line.)
Old 06-30-2004, 06:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think Fishfreek and overstocker have a good idea.
Old 06-30-2004, 06:27 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfreek
Wonder if putting in some drain traps like they do on sinks and such would help? I konw the purpose of the traps in the sinks and such is for sewer gases but it might help?

On your overflow do you have a standpipe config or is it just an open bulkhead in the bottom of the overflow? A standpipe might let less air into the system. A breather tube could also be lowered down the drain to provide a method of air trying to come up the pipeing a source of exit.
I have standpipes. I might run a line down, and I already have P-Traps.
Old 06-30-2004, 06:28 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overstocker
plumbing drains usually have an air vent near the top of the piping run. An piece of pipe open to the air teed off the drain. Of course the open pipe has to end above the level of the water. It allows the air to escape before getting very far down the piping run.
You could tee off right under the tank or even on top of the stand pipe in the tank (would only have to be an inch or two above the water line.)
I would be worried about the pressure allowing water to spurt. I'm moving at capacity. I already have a small hole in the stand pipe, but I think there are too many elbows over a 45' run.
Old 06-30-2004, 06:31 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

if the water was moving that quickly then wouldnt it be like a venturi or a chem lab vacuum adapter for a sink and suck the water and air to your sump?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com