Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-29-2004, 10:19 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 3,968
Too Many drain elbows

I know my problem in my drain line is too many elbows. Can't be helped, it's on the other side of the house and upstairs.

It's trapping a lot of air and forcing it down, so I built an air relief at the drain end shown HERE but I would like to work further to make it better.

The overflow upstairs is an AGA overflow, but basically it seems to be filling to the top of the U and then draining like a toilet to the holes in the neck.

Any suggestions?
__________________

__________________
Bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 06:04 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Cochranville PA
Posts: 698
The picture has a long horizontal section of pvc and 2 90 elbows. Switch the 90 s for some 45 s . That may eliminate the build up of air in the pvc.
__________________

__________________
A lot of ripples make a wave
darb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 07:38 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 3,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by darb2
The picture has a long horizontal section of pvc and 2 90 elbows. Switch the 90 s for some 45 s . That may eliminate the build up of air in the pvc.
That is just the end section. The whole run is about 45' and comes from across the house and down. There are a lot more elbows that can't be made into 45s.
__________________
Bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 10:21 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,256
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Wonder if putting in some drain traps like they do on sinks and such would help? I konw the purpose of the traps in the sinks and such is for sewer gases but it might help?

On your overflow do you have a standpipe config or is it just an open bulkhead in the bottom of the overflow? A standpipe might let less air into the system. A breather tube could also be lowered down the drain to provide a method of air trying to come up the pipeing a source of exit.
__________________
Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 10:30 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,437
Replace the entire run with flex pipe. Smooooth. 8)
__________________
snapcrackler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 11:12 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 215
plumbing drains usually have an air vent near the top of the piping run. An piece of pipe open to the air teed off the drain. Of course the open pipe has to end above the level of the water. It allows the air to escape before getting very far down the piping run.
You could tee off right under the tank or even on top of the stand pipe in the tank (would only have to be an inch or two above the water line.)
__________________
Overstocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 06:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Cochranville PA
Posts: 698
I think Fishfreek and overstocker have a good idea.
__________________
A lot of ripples make a wave
darb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 06:27 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 3,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfreek
Wonder if putting in some drain traps like they do on sinks and such would help? I konw the purpose of the traps in the sinks and such is for sewer gases but it might help?

On your overflow do you have a standpipe config or is it just an open bulkhead in the bottom of the overflow? A standpipe might let less air into the system. A breather tube could also be lowered down the drain to provide a method of air trying to come up the pipeing a source of exit.
I have standpipes. I might run a line down, and I already have P-Traps.
__________________
Bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 06:28 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 3,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overstocker
plumbing drains usually have an air vent near the top of the piping run. An piece of pipe open to the air teed off the drain. Of course the open pipe has to end above the level of the water. It allows the air to escape before getting very far down the piping run.
You could tee off right under the tank or even on top of the stand pipe in the tank (would only have to be an inch or two above the water line.)
I would be worried about the pressure allowing water to spurt. I'm moving at capacity. I already have a small hole in the stand pipe, but I think there are too many elbows over a 45' run.
__________________
Bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 06:31 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Cochranville PA
Posts: 698
if the water was moving that quickly then wouldnt it be like a venturi or a chem lab vacuum adapter for a sink and suck the water and air to your sump?
__________________

__________________
A lot of ripples make a wave
darb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ack, My filter went down the drain... EscVelocity Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 14 11-04-2009 02:58 PM
How should I run my drain to sump?? Reefer27 DIY Projects 14 04-21-2009 04:54 PM
Overflow Drain(s) required? pomps General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 5 05-10-2007 05:27 PM
Drain hose instead of PVC? SkinnyPete General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 3 01-13-2006 04:08 PM
Do I need to drain and start all over? sandrav Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 2 01-08-2006 05:35 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.