Too Many Tangs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ajamison

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just added a Kole Tang to my 75g today. My Blue Hippo and Yellow Tang who are for the most part inseparable are not happy w/ sharing their home w/ the new guy. Should I be concerned?

Yes you are in trouble. The yellow tang and hippo tang should not be in a 75 gallon tank, an it is too small for 3 tangs

How would like it if a new roommate was forced on you. When adding a new fish, turn off any lights. That way the new fish has time in the twilight to find the lay of the land.

I agree, people all make mistakes. I can only imagine how many mistakes i would have made without this site! I would probably have a tang in my 30 without this app.

People should know what there going into. There is nothing that says he's re homing them

The blue hippo NEEDS a 6 foot tank, and the yellow tang definitely should have a 6 foot tank. You could keep the kole in a 75, MAYBE MAYBE MAYBE a yellow, probably not, but DEFINITELY not a blue tang. I just wont work. If your looking into upgrading to a 125 or higher than youll be just fine ! :)

I would recommend keeping the kole and re homeing the others, unless you plan on upgrading in the future.

The kole tang is okay by itself in the 75 gal, but the others will stress and fight and will usually take it out on the kole. I have 9 tangs.

So the Kole definitely hides a lot which I'm pretty sure is normal for them.... The Blue Hippo and Yellow tangs seem back to their normal behaviors today which is just swimming around checking things out and foraging.

I wanted to share the rest of the tank-mates to get more feedback from you all since I'm new to this. I'm hoping I'm okay and haven't made too many any other mistakes w/ wrong tank-mates. As far as upgrading to a new tank for my Blue Hippo... he'll have to stay put for now. Here's the rest of the tank-mates:

Fish:
1 coral beauty angle
1 flame angel
3 blue damsel yellow tails
2 percula clowns
1 yellow watchmen Gobi

Invertebrates:
1 Green Bubble Tip Anemone
1 star fish
1 coral banded shrimp
1 hermit crab
1 fighting conks
2 turbo snails
2 small snails

Corals:
1 green star polyp
1 coral button polyp

Ajamison said:
So the Kole definitely hides a lot which I'm pretty sure is normal for them.... The Blue Hippo and Yellow tangs seem back to their normal behaviors today which is just swimming around checking things out and foraging.

I wanted to share the rest of the tank-mates to get more feedback from you all since I'm new to this. I'm hoping I'm okay and haven't made too many any other mistakes w/ wrong tank-mates. As far as upgrading to a new tank for my Blue Hippo... he'll have to stay put for now. Here's the rest of the tank-mates:

Fish:
1 coral beauty angle
1 flame angel
3 blue damsel yellow tails
2 percula clowns
1 yellow watchmen Gobi

Invertebrates:
1 Green Bubble Tip Anemone
1 star fish
1 coral banded shrimp
1 hermit crab
1 fighting conks
2 turbo snails
2 small snails

Corals:
1 green star polyp
1 coral button polyp

Avoid the conch unless you have lots of sand room, they need lots of sand bed room even with not a lot of rock they will still find a way to get stuck trust me I have a queen conch and i wouldn't recommend getting any conch

ezy33 said:
How would like it if a new roommate was forced on you. When adding a new fish, turn off any lights. That way the new fish has time in the twilight to find the lay of the land.

Yah id be much better if strange people were coming in my house when the lights are off lol!

Back
Top Bottom