Too many vitamins causing excess nutrients?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
I seem to having some cyano problems recently on my 110g tank. Levels are great and nothing has changed recently beside slacking on water changes a bit(haven't done one in the past 3-4 weeks but amd doing 25%tomorrow) I usually do 10% a week. Anyway I'm not overfeeding, the fish eat all the food and I have a ton of snails/shrimp that eat any leftovers. I usually soak the food in garlic guard(couple cap fulls) and add a few drops of vita-chem, zoe, and selcon on rotating days. Would adding too much vitamins be causing problems or just because I haven't done a water change for a while?

BTW, tank has been up for almost a year and I never had this problem.
Extra info, run half decent skimmer, chemi-pure 24/7 close to 200lbs LR.

Well, as you already now, cyano is typically caused by poor water flow and excess nutrients. I wouldn't think the vitamins could be causing this unless you were really overdoing it.

Do you have any kind of nutrient export other than the skimmer? Any macro algae? Also water changes do help quite a bit with nutrient control. I change 20% every two weeks. You should definitely carry out that 25% you are talking about.

What kind of water are you using? If it is not RO/DI, that would be the majority of the problem. Also, do you have enough water flow in the tank.? The more the better as cyano hates it.

Well, I only have a pretty decent skimmer and no macro algae yet, I've been planning a 50g fuge for a couple months but never got it done. I use RO/DI water and total water flow is about 1400gph on a 110g tank which I know is not enough but I never had this problem until recently. I think it has to do with me slacking in water changes?

I think it has to do with me slacking in water changes?
No. I rarely do water changes and haven't had a cyano outbreak for years.
If you don't have any macroalgae to export nutrients then other things will take advantage of the nutrient rich environment that we need to keep to keep corals and fish fed. Other things are usually undesirable like microalgae, hair algae, cyanobacteria, and so on. I suggest getting a clump of macro going pronto.

Back
Top Bottom