Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-28-2011, 01:12 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Too much?

Y family knows me so well for christmas i ended up getting 125$ in gift certs to my lfs!my tank is a 37g btw,my Q is,is adding a second clownfish(one died a few days after original entry)a peppermint shrimp,and a few snails and hermits too much too add at once? And i mean a few like 4-6 snails and like 2-3 hermits-thanks in advance!

Old 12-28-2011, 03:45 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharklover
Y family knows me so well for christmas i ended up getting 125$ in gift certs to my lfs!my tank is a 37g btw,my Q is,is adding a second clownfish(one died a few days after original entry)a peppermint shrimp,and a few snails and hermits too much too add at once? And i mean a few like 4-6 snails and like 2-3 hermits-thanks in advance!
Should b fine. But i would prob find out why your clown died to b safe.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:05 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Don't think that would cause an issue, but double check your water parameters and whatnot. While die off can happen for no apparent reason (I recently lost a firefish and I'll be darned if I can figure out what happened) there's generally a cause to be found in the water quality.

In my case, I had 3 fish and a handful of corals- everything is doing great, except for that one fish.
caulastrea, green star polyps, palythoa, zoas
bighabeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:22 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Me too but it was prob just the stress from moving,fish die very easily in the first few days in a new tank from stress my other fish is fine and life is bustling in my LR
Old 12-28-2011, 10:52 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharklover View Post
Me too but it was prob just the stress from moving,fish die very easily in the first few days in a new tank from stress my other fish is fine and life is bustling in my LR
I don't know that I necessarily agree with that assessment, particularly with a generally hearty fish like a clown (barring anything unusual, i.e. one of the less solid species). In 10+ years of keeping fish, both freshies and salt, I think I've ever only lost one fish seemingly due to the stress of being moved: and it was an angel fish (which forever turned me off to that variety, I might add).

In any event, if everything else is doing well and the parameters check out, I'd say you should be fine. If you're nervous, add the inverts first - give a few more days to make sure nothing develops with the other fish, and then plop in the clown
caulastrea, green star polyps, palythoa, zoas
bighabeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighabeeb View Post
I don't know that I necessarily agree with that assessment, particularly with a generally hearty fish like a clown (barring anything unusual, i.e. one of the less solid species). In 10+ years of keeping fish, both freshies and salt, I think I've ever only lost one fish seemingly due to the stress of being moved: and it was an angel fish (which forever turned me off to that variety, I might add).

In any event, if everything else is doing well and the parameters check out, I'd say you should be fine. If you're nervous, add the inverts first - give a few more days to make sure nothing develops with the other fish, and then plop in the clown
+1 to this.

When i first started this venture (didn't know much of anything and shamed to admit but), I plopped 2 clowns in the tank when it wasn't necessarily finished cycling and had to perform PWC's every day to keep the ammonia down to a survivable level. I'm sure my other parameters were not spot on either and they made it through just fine and are doing very well these days. Those clowns are surprisingly hardy and resilient! For one to just drop.......at least in my experience would be very unusual.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Watchman?? | Killer »