Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 03-02-2009, 12:59 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kelowna BC, Canada
Posts: 149
Too much Calcium?? Is it possible

Is it possible? I have a reading of slightly over 500. HUH?? I know the optimal range is a bit lower but have also heard that it is also tolerable to have a reading slightly higher. What is slightly higher?? What is the deal. All of my other parameters are great. I just don't know about this one.

ph 8.3
amm 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 7
phosphate ?
salinity 1.022

My tank is about 3 months old and cycled for about 1.5 months. I have loads of LR 65lbs for a 55g tank. 90lbs of sand.
__________________

__________________
sqrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:21 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bothell, WA
Posts: 76
What salt do you use? 500 seems high for most commercial salt mixes. What kind of coral load do you have?
__________________

__________________
jhampton_wsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:18 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: not here anymore
Posts: 5,338
Where's your alkalinity at?
__________________
Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:46 AM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin
 
melosu58's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 38,249
Mine stays around 480 so you are not that far off. Using Oceanic salt mix will be about 500. Usually as Kurt was asking you their alk levels are kind of low.
__________________

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank


AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:20 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus
 
Tank2379's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chicago,IL
Posts: 2,890
Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
Mine is around 580 and I am using Oceanic Salt mix.... But probably because I do weekly it stays that high....
Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:50 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bothell, WA
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank2379 View Post
Mine is around 580 and I am using Oceanic Salt mix.... But probably because I do weekly it stays that high....
I also use Oceanic and with a moderate load of LPS and a couple sps. I do about 15% water changes every week and my Calcium hangs around 460 but my Alk gets used up very quickly and I have to dose one part of a two part to buffer my Alk to 9.5 dkh. Before I buffered my Alk up from 6.5 dkh my corals didn't seem to be able to use the calcium up and my calcium was around 5-550.

Here's a good link about salt mixes

Reef Central Online Community - A General Guide to Salt Mixes

Here's a thread I started in January when I was having similar problems.

Alkalininity and Calcium

It should be said that since this thread I switched to an Elos test kit for Calcium and for the first 30 days I tested for Alk every day switching to every other day for the last two weeks and I now test for Calcium twice a week. I've logged all these numbers and found that with my dosing every other day I have stabalized all my numbers. I also bought a pinpoint Ph monitor imo the only way to test for Ph. I record my Ph every time I test for Alk. I also test Ph once a week with Elos to double check my Pinpont. I know this seems like a lot of testing and it's been more expensive than I wanted burning through test kits, but once I get it figured out I'll cut back my testing to once a week or if someting looks out of order. On a side note I'm going to start switching salts this week. I've talked to some reefers who swear by the Tunze reef pro salt.

Also, welcome to AA

Jason
__________________
jhampton_wsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:47 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus
 
Tank2379's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chicago,IL
Posts: 2,890
Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
Mine stays around 480 so you are not that far off. Using Oceanic salt mix will be about 500. Usually as Kurt was asking you their alk levels are kind of low.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhampton_wsu View Post
I also use Oceanic and with a moderate load of LPS and a couple sps. I do about 15% water changes every week and my Calcium hangs around 460 but my Alk gets used up very quickly and I have to dose one part of a two part to buffer my Alk to 9.5 dkh. Before I buffered my Alk up from 6.5 dkh my corals didn't seem to be able to use the calcium up and my calcium was around 5-550.

Here's a good link about salt mixes

Reef Central Online Community - A General Guide to Salt Mixes

Here's a thread I started in January when I was having similar problems.

Alkalininity and Calcium

It should be said that since this thread I switched to an Elos test kit for Calcium and for the first 30 days I tested for Alk every day switching to every other day for the last two weeks and I now test for Calcium twice a week. I've logged all these numbers and found that with my dosing every other day I have stabalized all my numbers. I also bought a pinpoint Ph monitor imo the only way to test for Ph. I record my Ph every time I test for Alk. I also test Ph once a week with Elos to double check my Pinpont. I know this seems like a lot of testing and it's been more expensive than I wanted burning through test kits, but once I get it figured out I'll cut back my testing to once a week or if someting looks out of order. On a side note I'm going to start switching salts this week. I've talked to some reefers who swear by the Tunze reef pro salt.

Also, welcome to AA

Jason
Sorry don't mean to HiJack this thread but since both of you are using Oceanic. What are you guys doing different to keep your Cal under 500?
Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:41 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bothell, WA
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank2379 View Post
Sorry don't mean to HiJack this thread but since both of you are using Oceanic. What are you guys doing different to keep your Cal under 500?
When your calcium will not drop, I think it's important to look at two things, what is consuming calcium in your tank and what are your Mag and Alk levels. It is my understanding that if your Alk is too low your corals wont be able to use (for lack of a better term) the calcium so if you're using Oceanic and you have a decent coral load your tank is probably using up the alk faster than the calcium which will ultimitly inhibit the ability for your corals to use the calcium leaving you with low alk and high calcium. What are your Alk and Mag reading. What kind of corals do you have?

Jason
__________________
jhampton_wsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:17 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kelowna BC, Canada
Posts: 149
I think that mainly my radings being so high was due to a testing error. I was using an "API" test kit. In the book it said to add the # of drops from bottle #1, then add the drops from bottle #2 until it reaches the end point colour specified in the booklet and that # of drops would correspond to a calcium reading on the chart. The colour in the book is not the right colour. I did a spoof test to try and figure it out. It will only go soo dark. I added enough drops in the tube to make the test read over 1000 for calcium and realized what the problem was, the colour in the booklet was off. Problem solved. It is now between 460-480. Thanks every one for you help.
__________________

__________________
sqrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
calcium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Calcium?? sHistA Saltwater Reef Aquaria 14 08-31-2005 08:09 PM
Alkalinity and Calcium HIGH Calcium reactor not hooked up ye doughboydj Saltwater Reef Aquaria 4 05-29-2005 01:35 PM
Calcium???? Hookman Saltwater Reef Aquaria 4 02-20-2005 01:33 PM
Still have to dose calcium with a calcium reactor? limitup Saltwater Reef Aquaria 1 09-08-2004 09:48 AM
best way to add calcium kalk or calcium reactor? pomme Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 2 12-02-2003 09:26 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.