Too much calcium or un-working test?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bighabeeb

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK so recently bought a new reef master test kit (my old one had everything reading very low...and it was nearly 4 years old, so it was time). So in any event, tonight I did a round of testing...
pH 8.4
KH 179
Phosphates, nitrates, nitrites all showing as 0

Now where this got particularly interesting is that when I went to measure out calcium it came out to require so many drops that the chart in the instructions didn't even show what that measurement would mean. Like, 20 - 25 drops would be 400-500...it took a good 28 or so drops before the test changed color....

So a couple of questions: I know my pH is on the high end of the scale, kh I believe to be more or less where it should be...is it possible that my calcium is really that high off the chart, or is it more likely that the calcium test is faulty? I'm going to take a sample to the lfs tomorrow to verify...
Thoughts?

I think you are doing the test wrong. When I was screwing it up I was doing the same thing. Shake it after every couple or even one drop.

that was actually my first thought as well...tried it three times with three unique water samples in three brand new test tubes. And yea, shook it after every second drop....after every single drop once I got above 20.

Well, then something is wrong or your fish are living inside a hollow bone.

LOL
Alright, I'm going to hold off on panic until I get another test tomorrow - corals that I have are all doing fine, and the fish that are in there haven't turned into milk just yet...

Yea, my calc is confirmed in the 550 range right now. Not entirely sure which salt mixture is used as I buy my ro/di straight from the lfs, already salted. Keeps my tank water identical to the water he has in the shop meaning less irritation for fish and corals when it comes time for acclimation. I still do a nice gentle acclimation, but on occasion I've had to hustle through it and never had an issue since, theoretically, my water should be pretty durn close to the water he has.

I dont remember how much, but I know that my reef crystals have calcium in them to raise it to a level for...a reef. I dont know if I would be concerned about having similar water to your LFS...I would only worry about it if the price was right...and with my own RO/DI the price just can't compete with making my own and trading it off for pods and other things to the locals.

I dont remember how much, but I know that my reef crystals have calcium in them to raise it to a level for...a reef. I dont know if I would be concerned about having similar water to your LFS...I would only worry about it if the price was right...and with my own RO/DI the price just can't compete with making my own and trading it off for pods and other things to the locals.

Yea its most defnitely more cost efficient to make your own. I admit I'm somewhat lazy: I actually did buy an inexpensive ro/di unit: the biggest issue with it is that it makes the water painfully slowly, especially in the colder months (the only place I was permitted to set it up was in the garage)...so in the long run, the 12 bucks a week on water is cheaper than the abuse I'd be taking from the missues for having more fish-tank stuff laying around ;)

I just toss a 5 gallon bucket in my sink and turn it on. I go about my day, cleaning, playing with my dog, whatever. By the time I come back it's filled up and I measure out the salt, mix it up, toss in a heater and a powerhead and then go back to what I was doing or go to work. By the time I return it's time for a PWC.

Back
Top Bottom