Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-30-2004, 09:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

too much circulation?

I stopped by my LFS today and picked up 2 powerheads because my tank needs some more circulation. The guy sold me two JBJ 1800 powerheads because I wanted two smaller ones than one giant powerhead. But when i turned just one of them on it seemed to be too much, blasting all the way around the tank. I dont see any adjustments to slow down the flow rate, so i'm wonering do i need to go even smaller with the powerhead?

Old 05-30-2004, 10:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hi there, what size powerheads (in gph)? What size tank?

If you take the total gph divided by the tank gallons, you should end up with 10-20. This is your cycles per hour. Try to aim the powerheads to meet each other in the center front of tank, creating a chaotic flow, not a circular flow. 2 is definately better than 1 larger ph.

I put one ph on the timer so it's only on when the lights are, the other is always on. This gives me a variable flow, and the fish can sleep maybe easier with less flow. Works very well for me, you may like that. You want to have your lights on a timer anyway, I use the timer for one pw and a hob filter also.

Old 05-30-2004, 10:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

sorry i forgot to mention that part... I have a 60 gal tank. and the powerhead has a flow rate of 290 GPH. i just dont want to blast my fish or the mushroom coral to death.
Old 05-31-2004, 12:11 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
sorry i forgot to mention that part... I have a 60 gal tank. and the powerhead has a flow rate of 290 GPH. i just dont want to blast my fish or the mushroom coral to death.
Again...

Try to aim the powerheads to meet each other in the center front of tank, creating a chaotic flow, not a circular flow. put one ph on the timer so it's only on when the lights are, the other is always on. This gives a variable flow, and the fish can sleep maybe easier with less flow at night.
Old 05-31-2004, 12:26 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to luntiz
I have 500 GPH in my tank and I still think I need more circulation (few dead spots in a barebottom tank which needs more flow). This is a 50 gallon tank. I think it really depends on if you have sand or not and the direction you blast them at. My PH is blasting at the top of the tank creating some surface tension. I think you should have one blasting at the surface and another at the opposite side blasting at the front or towards the other PH.

BTW, some fish LOVE powerheads!!!!!! At the LFS, I saw several clowns that were in direct flow and loved it (unless they were retarded and didnt know how to avoid them...) Water circulation can also depend on what fishes you want to keep (some fishes want that current to build their swimming muscles, some want a more stagnant tank). Its your call but 2 PH will be better than 1.
Old 05-31-2004, 01:01 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

My clowns love it! They'll hang out every once in a while right in the flow. My Tomato clown likes it most though.
Old 06-01-2004, 05:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

thx for all the suggestions, i'll experiment with the positioning and try to get it right.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:07 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
As everyone has suggested what you want is random currents vs a jet stream effect. Having them blow toward eachother, blow toward the middle front of the tank. One blow along the back of the tank and one blow toward the front, one blowing toward the surface of the tank so you get a good amount of ripplings and then one blowing a few inches below that are other options.

For a 60 gal tank two of those powerheads will not be to much flow. What else do you have in there to introduce water movement?

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circulation

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com