Too much circulation? Doing the math...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearfan

Aquarium Advice Addict
3 Maxi Jet 1200s at 295gph = 885
Maxed out overflow = 600ish

Total = 885+600 = 1485

1585/75 = 19.8x Turn Over

I know you can be up at 20, but the ideal is around 15. Should I remove a PH? Then I worry about dead spots and slime algae.

An excellent question I'd also like to know the answer to. I have a 75gal with 2 Maxi Jet 1200's and a Mag 7 pushing 700ish gph. By my poor math calculations I figure i have about 1290gph's going on. Is that ok?

I have 20x flow and sometimes it doesn't seem like enough!

Atari said:
I have 20x flow and sometimes it doesn't seem like enough!

I get that feeling too...but having 4 Powerheads in the tank w/ 2 Internal Filters and a Heater does not look too nice...so many wires and bulkiness.

luntiz said:
I get that feeling too...but having 4 Powerheads in the tank w/ 2 Internal Filters and a Heater does not look too nice...so many wires and bulkiness.

I've got three in my tank and the rest of the equipment is in the sump...the beauty of a sump!

I have in my 130 my regular pump the pushes 1000GPH for my wey/dry & Refuguim and 2-Mag 12 pumps with dividers in order for them to work each in for different angles. I cover them with live rock so they do not show.

200X overflow would be excessive. :mrgreen:

20X is not IMO.

The key is to not have a jet stream effect but more random currents. Ideally you will have areas of higher flow and areas of lower flow so you can place your corals where they have the water current they most prefer.

My buddy's wife is due any day now like my wife. They're having a girl and I constantly remind him to teach her about guys like him and I.

i have a 2 month old boy and was told once ya lucky ya only have to worry about one but with a girl ya have to worry about a million of them heheheh

I raised a boy and a girl, he is 24 she is 23. Got 2 wonderful grandbabies, little girls and I feel for their parents when they get older. The oldest grandbaby can run this computer almost as well as I can. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom