Too much flow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeYQM

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey, I have a 30 gal with 31 lbs of rock in a center pile. On one end I have a Koralia 750 pointed up down the length of the tank, a Koralia 240 pointed down & bouncing off the front glass at 45 degrees.

In the other end I have another 240 pointed at the rock pile and my 405 canister near the surface aimed towards the 750.

Is this too much flow? My 2 clowns stay mostly to one side and only swim along the glass.

I've put in a ref pic.

Thanks,

Mike

Attachments

• image-3221011947.jpg
    image-3221011947.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 226
id aim the 2 240's at each other and kill the 750 and just keep on eye on things Im running 2 750 in a 90g and have no problems Mabe put the 750 on a timer so it shuts off at night giving the fish a brake or aim the 2 240's at the 750 you want them to crash as it will give random flows that way

So I have too much? The 405 is rated at 225GPH max and I'll be adding a SRO XP1000S HOB skimmer at the end of the week as well.

If I move the 2 240s to the left side against the 750, and put the 750 on a day timer, will that mess up the flow at night when it's all one sided?

Thanks

I dont want to say you have to much(42x) but if the fish are avoiding the flow then yes i think so Try putting the 240's in the rear corners aimed at the front center of the tank so the flows crash into each other in the front
if the flow is one sided it will just circle around in the tank what your looking for is random flow with no dead spots i dont think it will hert Id start by crashing the 240's into the 750 IMO the 750 is too much when used with the 240's
Im running a 125g HOB with a single 450 in a 20h and have great flow

Remember clowns are not salmon,they don't need to be swimming against a strong current .LOL
Like the others say you may have to much flow.

Ok, so I've moved both 240s to the left side with the 405 output and left the 750 on the right with all flow colliding. The 750 is on a timer to run 8am to 8pm only.

I'll monitor this for a few days & try the random function of the timer as well. Once the skimmer is in I'll reevaluate and maybe take out the 750 if it doesn't get better.

Are you sure the 2 240s, filter & skimmer will be enough?

Thanks

Yes what you want is any detritus to get picked up by the filter intake if it settles in one spot and dont move then you have a problem even slow movement is much better than none you want to avoid dead spots but you dont want a whirlpool
I create a storm in my tank once a month with a hand held PH just to be sure that an debris gets filtered out. It's funny cause after i do it my coral seem to go nutz feeding.

With just the filter and 2 240's your getting 23.5x (705gph /30g) turnover i think that's plenty

Following advice, I took out tge 750 and have the 240s opposite back corners crashing on the front glass at center.

I notice much less surface agitation now. Should I aim both the PH up, or one? There is some surface movement from the pump, but only on about 1/3 of the surface. Should I move the pump output closer to the surface to increase agitation that way?

Thanks

Both ways will work, are the fish showing signs of stress rapid breathing If not i would'nt worry as long as the surface tension is broken you'll have gas exchange

I moved the pump out put higher, but the clowns do appear to be opening their mouths more. Not sure if it's breathing or not. It's not continuous, mostly small openings, but once in a while they are opening as wide as they can, almost like stretching. Is that a sign of labored breathing? I dont really see any more gill activity.

Thanks

i dont think there stressed you will see the gill plates moving a lot opening and closing fast id say there just getting used to the new flow can you test your ph you want it to be around 8-8.2
Mine does that when he/she ticked at the other fish opens her mouth and flares her fins like she's trying to look bigger

Water parameters were all good this am & they have been eating as well so I'm guessing they aren't stressed. Just want to be sure they can breath!

Thanks a lot!

My new clowns seem to deliberately go in front of my PH... Like it's a game... Lol

Back
Top Bottom