Too Much Flow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChiTownRomeo

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am building a 46 gallon bowfront. do you think 2 maxijet 400's are too much over kill?

so I can go get new ones. Should i have 1 on each side? Sorry I'm a noob lol

ChiTownRomeo said:
so I can go get new ones. Should i have 1 on each side? Sorry I'm a noob lol

U wanna put them in spots that will ensure you don't get " dead spots " where the water is still and not moving , this will cause a lot of food and waste to build there. U also want to make sure to be causing a lot of surface agitation this is the main source of oxygen to the tank and will also help stabilize PH

I have 3 and need to get 1 stronger one to go in as well

I would atleast put 2 900s if not 1200s in that tank. One on each side pointing at the front glass. When i have my 26 bowfront i had 2 900s on a red sea wavemaker and it worked out great

I have a 46 bowfront reef and have 3 500's plus my to return splits at about 400 a piece. One pump is on the side glass with 2 on the opposite side back glass.. you just have to watch that your flow doesn't create a "toilet bowl" effect and swirl around the tank cause I've found it to cause the sand to blow pretty badly from the front glass

Hmmmmm......... I have a 46 bow front and a 1400 lph filter and 2x 2800 lph koralias, roughly equates to 80 times tank turnover lol. Is this considered too much?

Mrc8858 said:
I have a 46 bowfront reef and have 3 500's plus my to return splits at about 400 a piece. One pump is on the side glass with 2 on the opposite side back glass.. you just have to watch that your flow doesn't create a "toilet bowl" effect and swirl around the tank cause I've found it to cause the sand to blow pretty badly from the front glass

I also get a little bit of the "toilet bowl" effect lol, seem to have them tweaked just right now though.

Russ_gibbo1985 said:
Hmmmmm......... I have a 46 bow front and a 1400 lph filter and 2x 2800 lph koralias, roughly equates to 80 times tank turnover lol. Is this considered too much?

Ya crister has a good point. If you have a 46 (gallon) tank and using liters for water movement then your actually closer to 20x turnover

Actually done my sums wrong found a decent converter now, I have a 40 gal tank with 1570 gal turnover giving me roughly 40x turnover. :)

just FYI I have a couple maxi jet 600's and a couple 1200's and I can hardly tell any difference in the flow of the two. I can put my hand in front and move it close or further out and the flow is nearly indistinguishable between the 600 and the 1200, I have a korallia that's rated at 425 gph, and an odyssea 250gph also and the korallia ( which has the highest gph rating) is by far the weakest flow wise. This is all of course by my five finger flow meter in a 47g column tank.

Also as far as flow goes I have Trouble with the shape of my tank with striking a balance between getting enough flow in certain places and no dead spots and not stirring sand or creating little whirlpools that let air into the power head and makes an annoying slurp sound.

Back
Top Bottom