Too much for Puffer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sjpriddy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just purchased a blue spotted puffer for a 40 gallon hexagon aquarium, He is going to be the only fish in it. My question is, I have a 160gph canister filter with I 6” long discharge. Is this going to be too much current for him? When I turn it off he gets out from behind the live rock and swims around his new home. I don’t want it to exhaust its self trying to move. Can I turn it off during daytime and run it only at night?

Absolutely not. Our systems run anywhere from 10-50x turnover of the water column. 160gph isn't coming anywhere close to that.
As for filtration, normally we frown upon canisters in saltwater...but that is besides the point at this stage. It is more important to ensure that you are continuing to filter your water. Turning off your filtration is limiting its effectiveness along with not allowing any type of beneficial bacteria to build up inside the canister/filter media that is being run.

Thanks for the quick reply. I’ve had porcupine puffers before in larger tanks with less current. He seems to have found a place to sleep that works. If anyone has any suggestions on what small fish I can add with him, that would be great. I only want to add another 2 or 3. I really appreciate the advice.

Blue spotted puffer

This is the size tank I am using.

Attachments

• 8A05A87B-7645-4DF7-A724-A211D4760007.jpg
    8A05A87B-7645-4DF7-A724-A211D4760007.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 116
Not really sure that's the best setup for that very nice specimen? I've not kept sw puffers but my fw puffers use every square inch of the tank. That style tank may be a bit limiting to his needs?? Maybe a smaller brackish species?

I take it your just using this tank for reference as I see no live rock in this particular tank
I also agree 160 gph don't come near the standard 10 to 50 times of water turnover
as for fish in a hexagon tank I would try to lean towards a sand dweller or any other fish that's not very active

Last edited:
I have close to 1000gph in my 40 if not more of flow and my fish love it. 160 is nothing. I wouldn’t add any other fish as that tank looks like it barely has enoug area for the puffer to swim.

I mistyped the gph, it’s 360gph. Thanks for all the advice. He seems to be happy as he always comes to the front of the tank when I come close to it. Im going today to get him more of a variety of food. I have a small piece of live rock on the bottom I purchased when I got him. He has been nibbling on it.

it's recommended 1 lb live rock per gal 1 small rock won't hold enough beneficial bacteria to maintain a healthy tank , adding any more live stock with just that one rock will most likely cause your tank to crash, please be aware of this .

have you checked your ammonia level .

Last edited:
it's recommended 1 lb live rock per gal 1 small rock won't hold enough beneficial bacteria to maintain a healthy tank , adding any more live stock with just that one rock will most likely cause your tank to crash, please be aware of this .

have you checked your ammonia level .
Basically a recipe for disaster

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom