too much light for mushrooms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KLN

Aquarium Advice Regular
I picked up a rock covered with mushroom corals from a lfs. I have them toward the top of the tank, perhaps 10" beneath 260w pc. Could that be too much light? How do you tell if it is too much for them?

What kind of light were they using at the LFS? And are they Ricordias, b/c generally, ricordia mushrooms like more light than most other mushrooms.

Most mushrooms will do okay in moderate to even dim light. Ricordias seem to do okay in brighter lighting. Mushrooms also generally prefer to be in low current areas.

Appear to be a green fluorescent mushrooms, Actinodiscus sp.

IMHO, I'd put the at the bottom of the tank else they will "bleach" which in mushroom terms means turn brown and not that kool green color. They are pretty tolerant to many conditions but med to low light is prefered and low flow.

Hope this helps.

mulron said:
IMHO, I'd put the at the bottom of the tank else they will "bleach" which in mushroom terms means turn brown and not that kool green color. They are pretty tolerant to many conditions but med to low light is prefered and low flow.

Hope this helps.

Thats not always the case. Now granted I acclimated mine to the light, but I have red, watermellon, and purple shrooms at the top of my tank and they are multiplying like crazy...and they open up huge.

Edit: I forgot. They are under a pair of 175watt 10k m/h bulbs and 2 110vho actinics.

I had recently topped off my live rock wall with several mushroom rocks in my 90g FOWLR. It is also about 10" away from 260 watts of PC lighting. At first, the shrooms did well & became pretty large, but now after about 2 months, they have been shrinking and some are just disappearing.
Don't know if it is also an issue with too much light. Maybe I should move them down lower.

I dont think you have anything to worry about with PC lighting. Maybe with MH. What size tank is it?

It's a 55. I have moved them to the bottom of the tank, out of direct water flow. Can't see any change so far, except that they are not as flourescent as before.

SquishyFish posted:
Thats not always the case. Now granted I acclimated mine to the light, but I have red, watermellon, and purple shrooms at the top of my tank and they are multiplying like crazy...and they open up huge.

Edit: I forgot. They are under a pair of 175watt 10k m/h bulbs and 2 110vho actinics.

I agree with you 100% on this. But as you said you acclimated them to more light. The green ones he has can turn to a brownish color quickly if they have too much light.

Back
Top Bottom