Too much phosphate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Codyheitmiller

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My phosphate is at 0.25, is that enough to start making my monti cap bleach, and bubble tip start to bleach out? I don't get paid till the 17th. P.s. I'm finally employed and am a manager at PetCo. Figured I would help them turn there bad saltwater rep around.

Phosphate won't cause bleaching. I may cause corals to "brown out" and it will cause nusiance algae growth.

Any phosphates can have a negative impact on your reef. I suggest trying to find the source first before using the chemicals. :)

Find an iron based phosphate remover and use it sparingly, don't have to keep it in 24/7. I'm pretty sure phosban is iron based and therefore safer in reefs.

Phosban is like 10 bucks tops for a reasonable amount. They sell it at most fish stores. And you don't have to keep it in all day, just plop in it until phosphates are down and remove, and keep up with water changes until the next phosphate dilemma.

Once again... I don't have money.... My question is, should I be good till I get paid in two weeks?

Yep. Phosphates aren't going to kill off your tank by themselves. Just keep up with water changes and get some phosban when payday arrives.

The phosban and other gfo works best when used in a reactor. just putting a bag of phosban in the sump does not allow for proper flow through the media. Most of the water will flow around a bag in a sump

Just so you know...If you have a sump/refugium you could have free everlasting phosphate remover in the form of chaeto algae :D. It uses up so much phosphates that no algae but it will grow.

I have one over flowing with cheato and still have phosphates, just no nitrites/trates

Back
Top Bottom